Sign in to follow this  
KentWien

F2 is now certified with EASA

The 2-seat Flight Design F2 is now certified with EASA, with FAA Part 23 certification coming soon. 

Here is the Type Certificate Data Sheet from EASA on the new F2 providing some details. 

en

Very curious how this is going to play out.

If you buy an F2 with part 23 certification, LSR-Ms can not work on it, and you will have to find an IA for your annuals.

Yeah, and not many of the traditional GA mechanics embrace Rotax either.  I think the F2 is a heck of an LSA machine, other than the price point being a fraction of a new Cirrus or Cessna, I don't think they have much going for the certified market.

Type certified offers a path to a higher gross weight. The EASA certificate is for 650kg. It also offers a method for other commercial operations beyond instruction and rental. I think it would be a great pipeline airplane.

The mechanics I know don't have an issue with Rotax. They are overwhelmed with work and don't have the ability to spare the time to send mechanics to Rotax school. A lot of them don't feel comfortable with a new type engine requiring spare parts, data, training, etc when they don't have to.

I believe LSA maintenance is a viable small business if one starts out with it. Unfortunately piston maintenance profitability is difficult depending on geographic location.  Turbines are where the money is, I have have been there and it takes a lot of money for inventory,  insurance, rent, and data so it's hard to change. 

14 hours ago, Towner said:

If the F2 is a docile as they say, it may be the perfect trainer! 

From the time I got to spend in the prototype this summer it will certainly be a great VFR trainer as well as a solid IFR training platform in the part 23 version!

I flew the F2 prototype a few days ago, very nice plane.  But they're stacked up with orders so looking at August delivery they say.  I think the plane will do very well.  

I talked to the guys at Airtime and they are sold out as well.  Good problem to have I guess.  My hope is that the part 23 version and F4 come online quickly.  I'm in need of 4 seats!