Higher Oil temps now

Patrnflyr

Ok guys, just got my plane back from annual and has the new oil pressure thingamabobber that raises TBO to 2000hrs now. I've noticed that the oil temp now goes into the near yellow area( about 217degrees) during a long climbout. Not a problem, but was wondering if anybody has seen this occur. It goes right down after leveling out in cruise. Previously, I NEVER saw the temp go near that high, so I was just wondering if it had anything to do with the upgrade?

John

Hi John,

That is perfectly normal especially during this time of year and rate of climb. 217F is nothing to worry about. I don't think anything about 240F. The engine is good to 266F and the 50/50 coolant could handle that, but Rotax likes the 50/50 mix max to be 248F just in case there is a hot spot and the 50/50 wants to vaporize in one or two spots. So 217F you are good to go. I do have a cooler running engine right now as I have moved the clip on the carb needle down one position. It tends to let the EGT's and CHT, and oil to run a little cooler this time of year in Arizona. Don't worry as much about the oil temp. Watch the CHT and that will give you a good idea where the water temp is since the coolant only cools our heads.

same here... mine seems to run a bit hotter than before. This is Phoenix, so we expect the gauge to go to the top of the green on climb-out. But my last flight was in the morning, before our daily temps went over 100. With two big boys, probably close to gross weight, I went up to the top of green while climbing. Granted ATC had me climbing a bit to get through Class Bravo, so it wasn't your normal slow climb... but it was only 80 or so outside. angry.gif

Anyhow, I'll be watching it a bit closer over the next few flights.

Tim

Exactly Tim, mine is only during climb out. It has me concerned a little bit because our temps yesterday were only 75 degrees and I climbed to 8500 ft loaded up to max and moderate, aggressive climb. If I fly conservatively, there's no problems. I know the engine isn't near it's max, but I wish I could modify the yellow arc upward more so I didn't have to look at the temp hovering next to it. Does the modification reduce the flow therefore causing the temp to rise?

John

Archived