Nose gear play

procharger

My front wheel has some play in it when I move the front wheel it has about

a 1/2 inch movement left to right but the at the top there is no play, slot and

the pin look good and tight what should  looking for CTSW? I The whole

assembly does not move side to side or left to right when off the ground. Bearings

in wheel are fine no movement there.

I had mine apart last year to verify what dampers were installed, as well as grease and inspection.  I recall having a challenge in reinstalling the assembly back into the rocker (KA4010001) due to the spring forces taking things out of location.  Ultimately, I was able to use a couple quick grip squeeze clamps to push rocker back into location and slide the nose gear back into hole.  Reading the procedure I see it mentions having a second person push on rudder pedals to overcome spring force, is that a good method?  Tom, any other tips on the reinstalling with spring force at play?

There should be no up / down free play and no more than about 1/4" of side to side. If you have 1/2" or more side to side correct it now because it will wear faster and more once started. If you have a tad side to side then either a new standard 8mm pin or a 8.2mm pin needs to be installed. Most buy my 8.2mm pin because sometimes the original 8mm pin wore the slot wider just a tad. If the 8.2mm is a bit too wide then just sand or file it down and hand fit it to make it perfect.

Up and down free play is caused by either the dampeners need replacing (these are consumable products) or the 13mm Locknut that holds the front suspension together is lose. I have only seen this twice and it was because of a previous mechanic install not quite correct. One I saw was only on by may 1-2 threads. Repeated hard nose landings will cause the dampeners to be replaced sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, procharger said:

Thanks Does rod unscrew out of the bottom of fork or it doesn't matter?

Do not bother the screw that comes out the bottom of the fork. Just push the front suspension guide pin out of its slot. Then take a 13mm socket on a 12" extension and unscrew the nut down inside the suspension. It's easy.

42 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

I had mine apart last year to verify what dampers were installed, as well as grease and inspection.  I recall having a challenge in reinstalling the assembly back into the rocker (KA4010001) due to the spring forces taking things out of location.  Ultimately, I was able to use a couple quick grip squeeze clamps to push rocker back into location and slide the nose gear back into hole.  Reading the procedure I see it mentions having a second person push on rudder pedals to overcome spring force, is that a good method?  Tom, any other tips on the reinstalling with spring force at play?

The easy way for one person is to sit on a stool. Then put one hand in on the rudder peddle and push and take your foot and push or pull on the wheel pant fairing. It doesn't take a lot of pressure on the front wheel to align it up and then just screw the bolt in. I have been doing it this way since 2006 and never an issue.

When you guys have problems or questions you are welcome to call me. Sometimes that's faster and easier to answer and come to a solution.

11 hours ago, procharger said:

Roger can I get a larger pin from you?

I sell everyone the 8.2mm pin so they can make adjustments and make the pin a perfect fit by sanding or filing it down a tad.. If you've got side to side play your slot may be a tad wider than stock. Yes sometimes the standard 8mm pin still works, but a low percentage of the time. The widest pin I have is 8.2mm. If your slots are wider than that then call me and I'll tell you how to fix it. I don't know of anywhere you can get a wider pin.

• 5 months later...

Hey all, I'm attaching a video of my problem. Video was taken with that nose wheel off the ground. Can anyone let me know how screwed I might be.  New part or repair? 2004 ctsw. I have hardly any left turning authority on the ground and could not turn onto the active runway from the taxiway today.  No problem turning right, I think because the wear is only on one side of the axle mounting hole. It looks like the nose axle has way to much play.  My tire was pretty much straight when full left rudder trying to taxi around. When the tail is lifted off the ground and I lock my rudder pedals to one side I can move the axle independent of the control horn. In the video you can see me moving it by hand to get the right amount of turn deflection to the left I think I need.  My issue only arose when visiting Virginia and another shop moved my bird into a hangar for the night with a dolly without me there. My rudder pedals were locked to my control stick so no free movement for the wheels to follow the turn.

I uploaded my video to YouTube. Don't get to upset with the videographer, one handed is tough 

Attachment didn't play for me.

You'll be able to sort this out with either repair or a replacement.  Contact FD USA and maybe Airtime for new or used part availability.  If it was mine to repair I'd probably find a 4130 tube 4130 Alloy Steel Round Seamless | Aircraft Spruce with OD close to the ID of the factory part (may have to turn it a bit on lathe to match diameters), then sleeve the upper area, weld it in place, and weld the slop in old holes, and remachine the diameter.  New hardware too.

• 7 months later...

Hey Chuck,

Before I answer and get corrected by the forum folks.  I'm not an A/P, IA and my advice has no guarantees. :)

I know there is an acceptable amount to tolerance/play that A/P checks during inspection which does not hinder taxi/turning authority, but I dont know that number.

I had close to the same amount.

Can you see the main bolt in the bracket and axle move?  Are you rudder pedals moving at all when you do that by hand? That bolt must be really loose and/or  hogged out to move that easily with your hand. Mine you really had to give it some elbow grease to rotate the axle inside the steering bracket.  Of course during taxi those forces meant nothing with the full weight of the engine pushing the axle down and nose gear bracket to rotate. I could not get off the runway to the taxi way with mine before the repair.  I lost about 30 degrees of movement from my rudder pedals to wheel. 

I have owned a 2006 CTsw for 14 years.  My plane is registered as an ELSA and I do my own maintenance and annual condition inspections.  I have no credentials to repair, maintain, or inspect anybody else's airplane.

That's more movement than I would be comfortable with.  My first effort would be to fine out what was allowing that much movement.