OSH 2011 !

207WF

For the last two years I camped at the ultralight strip, but it looks like this year (like last) they are going to have a balloon event taking the space on the side of the strip away from the runway, which limits the camping space, so I am not sure what to plan for this year. Any chance we can coordinate a bunch of tadpoles in the same area somewhere? WF

will there be a CT fly-in to OSH this year? Probably not a mass arrival, but do a number of CTs assemble? I might be interested in flying in. I assume one would camp out? I've never flown in to OSH, though I went through the C2O training last year - got flooded out. :(

I'm starting to get my heart rate up for OSH and wondering what to expect from the LSA and especially CT crowd.

I am planning to camp and be there the last two nights, departing on the last Sunday. I think you can put a sign in the window indicating your preferred airplane camping location - e.g. north 40, ultralight strip, etc... and the ground volunteers will eventually get you there. But where should we try to congregate? WF

• 1 month later...

Jim,

I'm planning on taking our Ctsw up on Saturday and leave the following Sunday. I will be parking down by the terminal. I hear some guys camp with thier ct's up by the ultralight field. I plan on seeking fellow owners out.

Chris

Hi All

I live in Ireland but now find myself in Chicago due to a family bereavement. I was wondering about the practicalities of making Oshkosh? any ideas anyone? Whats the ideal way to do it? should I camp or do you have to be in a plane for that? I would love to meet up with other CT owners there.

Hh,

Go to airventure.org and you will find all the info for getting to the show, daily activities, and hotel info. I got word that there are plenty of hotel rooms still.

It's a couple hour drive from chi town.

You'll never forget the experience

HH,

I concur. It's Disneyland for the aviator. Personally, I don't think it is physically possible to see everything in less than four days...four FULL days. You won't regret the trip. Personally, I've stayed in the local university dorm rooms annually for the last 21 years. They are clean, (relatively) cheap, and the city buses pick you up at the center of the dorm complex and take you right to the airshow for $3.00 round-trip. Can't be beat!! Plenty of restaurants nearby as well. Good Luck!

Seeing as I trained for my FAA ticket on a C152 and have 280+ hours made up in my CT, what would you think would I stand a chance of succeeding with a checkout in a 172? Because I have possibly more than one relative that may want to arrive at OSH in a plane. Is this realistic?

Hh

On word of advise when flying into Oshkosh make sure you print off the notam and read it a couple of times highlighting the important areas.

It can get quite busy so be prepared for controllers that come from some of the busiest airspace in the US. Instructions come at you pretty fast on the base leg to whatever runway is assigned. Good listening skills are a must.

If you get a chance to fly, do it! You will never forget the experience.

If you arrive during the last few days, like I have in the past two years, it's actually pretty quiet on the arrival. Two years ago I had to key the mike and talk twice, inconsistent with the NOTAM procedure, because the FAA folks in the trailer had forgotten about me: I was the only one on the arrival! Last year I flew the ultralight arrival. The hard part of this one is finding the runway, but its a real hoot! WF

I went to the Flight Design booth to discuss the problem that we have been having since day one with this aircraft and was told that they didn't have a maint guy coming to the show, they thought it was a grounding problem, and they were a little to busy to talk about, I mean how dare I bother them on a Sunday when they are trying to setup a booth. The best they could do was say "go see the guys at Lockwood".

How's that for support!

MocFly-

'not sure how serious you are... since you've seem to have answered your own question. When companies "do shows" they usually send the sales types, and are there to try and sell product. Especially these days in GA, we're lucky if the companies can afford to go to the shows at all. You have to realize that most of the aircraft companies are down to skeleton crews, and many LSA companies only have 3-4 full-time employees. I tried calling Remos a dozen times throughout the week, a couple weeks back, and got answering machines each time... 'left one message and have never got a call back.

I'm guessing that if you pick a better time, you'll be able to get someone's ear... and an answer.

BTW... what's the problem? You've got some of the best troubshooters right here...

Tim

Tim,

I was able to track the problem down to a ground loop wire that either came off or was not put on properly and a wire had backed our of a connector which and again I am assuming was never put together correctly or had backed out. I have picture to post as soon as I can figure out how to get them

The only reason I found this was because I had to take off the radio stack panel to access the bolt that goes thru the

firewall to ground the main bus.

While I understand that most companies have limited staff, when a person tells me they are either going to call me or assure me that "they are gonna help" I expect just that. I can tell you when one of my customers comes to me and says they have a problem of the same type which I experienced, I would have moved heaven and hell to get them help. Understand that I spoke to them on Sunday and today is Thursday and not not call to see what the heck happened to the guy who had to land his plane short.

There is also a ctls parked near me. N413F.

In talking to the guys from Lockwood they also said that flight desingn/rotax now run a home run wire from the motor which bypasses the starter solenoid to the main bus on the firewall .

Mocfly, I have been frustrated a few times in the same manner as you. I have had excellent support from FD at times and at other times, not. Tim's comments on cutting the staff is a actuality at FD USA and they are all trying to keep all bases covered. I have found if I call FD USA and ask to speak to Arian, he is normally able to get on the phone and will take time to provide advice. He's the guy who works on CT's at their headquarters and is an expert source for information. Again, he's one guy where there should be 2 or 3 to field questions from owners who call. FD's suggestion to work with Lockwood is probably good advice. The "home run" wire is something I have not heard of but it is an example of what you get if you talk to guys like Lockwood. Believe that Lockwood and Leading Edge have a specific time during the day that they offer advice to callers. Maybe California Power Systems too? Also, Tim's suggestion to post here is probably the best and guys like Roger Lee (who must never sleep!), Tad and Jeremy normally have the up to date info. Others here seem to be experts at avionics and electronics.

I have to agree about your sentiments on Oshkosh. These guys are there to sell airplanes. I didn't find them very supportive or even interested in talking with me as an existing owner. Maybe it's time we had a "tent talk" in the form of a CT owner's forum No sales pitches, just guys talking about problems and solutions as well as why we love this airplane. Is this worth pursuing?

Archived