EGT alert

Bill3558

1 hour ago, Skunkworks85 said:

Most likely a loose connection, What does a failed sensor/loose connection have to do with engine reliability?

Maybe I’m just a cranky old guy. But I’ve had boats, motorcycles, and cars my whole life. I’ve never had an oil line come off, never had an oil pressure sending unit fail, , and never had an egt probe fail, never had a voltage regulator fail on any of them.  I’ve had all three happen in 300 hours behind a Rotax. 
I have the IS engine. Lockwood says I have to disconnect the fuel rail to get to the connection. I’m already over my head and there is not a Rotax mechanic within a 100 miles. 
I’ll figure it out, but it seems like I am just waiting for the next “caution” when I fly now. 

If I recall correctly, a loose connection would cause it to indicate low, not high. If this were a carbureted engine (Rotax), you might expect a high reading on cyl 2 to be mirrored on cyl 4, since they’re attached to the same carb.  Maybe the electronics are working for you this time, and there’s a real problem.  Clogged injector?  

Just got off work and saw the video. Loose connection. Causes them to run all over the place, high and low, with no rhyme or reason. A bad EGT usually just reads low or not at all.

One thing to keep in mind is that the closest thing to the kind of stress aircraft engines and systems deal with, would be boats. We expect these engines to run at redline for minutes at a time, often longer, then down to 70% power for hours, with environments from hot to freezing, wet to dry, sometimes only minutes apart. EGT probes are right in the exhaust blast, inches away from the valves. The environment is really rough on them.

In my experience, EGTs tend to have a lifespan of about 500 hours.

On the assumption it might be a bad connection, I put some dielectric grease on the connector.  It didn’t help. Installed new probe and did static run up to almost full power. Everything looked good so I hope the problem is solved. 
Appreciate the help.

• 6 months later...