Consequences if you do not keep the Annual as recommended?

Blueyonder

A short time out of annual isn't a big deal. Ferry permits for such a short time are still very easy.

It's airplanes that go years out of annual that are an issue. They get an annual, then are listed for sale. Big red flag.

If an airplane has a recent flight history especially just before sale, that's the biggest help to its value that you can have. Tells everyone it's still in working condition.

I always thought:  Out of annual, not airworthy anymore.  I have not read the LSA rules about this, but you only get to the end of the month 12 months from the last annual date.  If it is like everything else in LSA and up to the manufacturer, then after the Rotax tolerance you are out.  As #Anticept says, you will need a ferry permit to fly it after that time.

There's certain pathways that a manufacturer can make something become an airworthiness limitation, rotax just saying it in their manuals isn't one. They're not the "manufacturer", flight design is, and unless flight design releases a safety directive, those time limits aren't mandatory.

And, if they did, I would march over to the fsdo and state such a limitation is not in the ASTM, and get an exemption.

The MRA limitation is one of those "probably enforceable" things, since the change is a conditional one; it allows for ferrying as necessary in the course of maintenance.