Fuel Cap Orientation

Amazonjet

While I’ve heard it works fine either way, the proper direction of the vent is forward. It is easy to adjust by loosing the nut at the base, turning the vent the direction you want, and retightening the nut. It is the standard fuel tank vent on earlier models.

The vents originally had a green sticky dot on them that faced forward. The vent does face forward from the factory, BUTTTT in 2007 I did a research project to try and see if venting made a difference the uneven fuel flow from one wing or the other. Over the months I did several things. The first was to turn the vent in each 90 degree angle and see if there was any difference in the uneven fuel flow from the wings. It made ZERO difference which way it faced over the months. Even a 90 degree sweep type vent facing forward or backward made no difference. I did find that the 90 degree swept vent facing forward did prevent any fuel sloshing on the wing so I left those in place for 1200 hrs.

So bottom line is yes FD has a direction to face the vent, but in real life testing it made no difference.