Mysterious 3 hoses

Amazonjet

On my 2008 CTLS,  after removing a ceiling cover I noticed a plugged 1/4 hose/tube sticking out of the wing root from the fuselage. It runs overhead somewhere. Upon further investigation there was a 2nd plugged hose on the fuselage wing root running overhead behind the windscreen or maybe running down to the instrument panel, and a 3rd plugged hose coming from the left wing.  My pitot tube is on the right wing. Besides the temperature sensor and navigation light I am not aware of any other items in the left wing. Does anyone know what this could be?  I hope it is not some sort of fuel venting that has been disconnected…

42E42206-D019-4237-A167-30536E9E936A.jpeg

That's the balance tube between the wings. It keeps their internal pressures equal.

That *needs* to be connected. Right now you have fuel fumes being blown into the cockpit and under certain flight attitudes, even will leak fuel into it.

Both wings have a tube coming out of them, and they connect to a tube running through that tunnel just in front of the flap mechanism on the top of the airplane cabin.

4 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

The manufacture's approval for installing the fuel vents in the caps on the very early CTLS require that the vent hoses be plugged.

08 04 30 FD Manufacturer Approval for CTLS 07-11-13 through 08-01-16 Fuel tank cap vent (2).pdf 367.78 kB · 8 downloads

Tom, 

What would be the recommend plug for a tube like that? I doubt it is a bolt. 

6 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

There were just a few of the first CTLS that had problems. There was one in Pennsylvania where they were working on the vents and exploded a tank when they tried to use air pressure to clear the vent. That was a bad day for someone's new airplane.

I bet it barely registered a couple psi in the tank before it peeled open too.

7 hours ago, Amazonjet said:

I do occasionally smell fuel

There are lots of locations from the wings, to the shut off value, and back through the firewall that can leak.  Might want to examine the lines / connections / filter area behind the panel.  That is often the source of fuel smell in cockpit and something to not ignore.