Things You Wish You Knew Before Buying Your CT

tevbax

Single best thing I've added was a Tanis engine heater.  I fly 12 months of the year and you wouldn't think Oklahoma would get that cold but anything below 50 degrees I go ahead and keep the engine plugged in.  Starts right up and if you travel when it's cold then plugging it in really makes a difference compared to a cold soaked engine start.  So many positives and I can't think of a negative except the initial cost.  I won't have another plane without an engine heater.

Also added XM radio, I really like it.

5 minutes ago, okent said:

Single best thing I've added was a Tanis engine heater.  I fly 12 months of the year and you wouldn't think Oklahoma would get that cold but anything below 50 degrees I go ahead and keep the engine plugged in.  Starts right up and if you travel when it's cold then plugging it in really makes a difference compared to a cold soaked engine start.  So many positives and I can't think of a negative except the initial cost.  I won't have another plane without an engine heater.

Also added XM radio, I really like it.

Bonus, Tanis is already installed 🙂 I figured I was going to hook it up to a cellular/ Wi-FI electric on/off switch so I could turn it on before I got to the airport. 

I've had my CTSW for 3-4 years and can't stop doing stuff to it.

Things I bought/changed:

• Installed insulating foam where the doors seal, and sealed every cabin hole and clear tape. Substantially improved cabin temps in winter.
  • EarthX ETX680C Lithium Battery + MRA from FD. Made a big difference cold weather starting.
  • Put a strip aluminum tape on the radiator to reach operating temp in winter, but don't forget to remove it in the summer (FD Approved)
  • Buy the Oil (Aeroshell Sport) and filters in Bulk to save money
  • Had the brakes and wheels changed over to MATCO, much better stopping power and the pads last longer
  • Sirius XM Weather (Expensive as hell) but it has completely changed flight planning, has saved my bacon many times on long trips. 
  • Satellite messenger like a SPOT or an inReach. I got the latter
  • I'd highly recommend these laminated checklists if your plane didn't come with one (http://www.checkmateaviation.com/flight-design-ctsw-light-sport-aircraft.html)

Things I learned:

• If you lift a wing up to change a tire, make sure the gas tank isn't full, or you're gonna spill gas everywhere
  • Don't overfill the oil or the oil will come out and get all over the bottom of the plane
  • If the MFD blurts out an alarm, don't panic. It happened to me once, turned out to be an oil pressure sensor.
  • Ethanol gas up to 10% is approved by FD. If I'm going to fly right away and know I will burn all the gas, I'll buy 91 from a regular gas station. If the plane will sit for a while I'll use ethanol free or 100LL. However there are tons of different opinions on this
  • Just because you can land the plane doesn't mean you can taxi it. I learned this lesson after putting it down in 35kt winds and barely getting it back to the hangar. If winds are over 20-25 it's worth your while to find an alternate and a hotel for the night.
  • ATC gets confused about Flight Designs for some reason. The identifier is FDCT (Foxtrot, Delta, Charlie, Tango) if they can't find Flight Design in their system. For some reason towers get extra confused when I mention the identifier, but ARTCCs know exactly what I'm talking about, so YMMV

Sort of on the topic of "things to know" advice, no matter what extent of work one does on their bird - be sure to understand the proper torque values for fasteners, what Loctite type to use (or not use), etc.  I think some new owners view fasteners and such being on an airplane as they must be "maximum tight", and that will get you in trouble when things strip or can't be removed without big hassle later.  Example, the instrument panel inserts are held in with screw and a rivtnut style insert on the back side, strip them and they will spin / game over.

Jeff,

I don’t think the strength of the area behind the curtain is an issue when carrying baggage (within the 110 pound limit) that extends partially into this area. But loads can be greatly magnified by impacts. That, and the potential for a cg shift, is why we need to tie things down securely.

What I should have also mentioned is that even with the load tied down, vibration will still cause fretting (rubbing, grinding) at points of contact. This can do great damage. Composites are particularly susceptible as their surface hardness is low (even less than aluminum). So we need to pad areas of contact. A cloth rag doubled over will work fine.

My electric scooter weighs about 70 lbs. I can’t stand it up on its wheels in the back, so it ends up with just a couple hard points of contact. I pad those points before tying it down securely.

Mike,

I think loading an electric scooter would be similar to a set of golf clubs. If the scooter is working well for you, maybe the clubs will work for me.

This is great info because I’d love to get an electric scooter for my plane too. I was looking at some that weighed about 40 lbs., but I had the same concerns as I did with the golf bags.

Just curious about your scooter…do you leave any portion in the cabin, or is it all in the baggage compartment and farther aft?

As the owner of a CT, I shouldn’t admit this, but I’m still not as comfortable with a composite plane as I am a metal plane. I know this is just ignorance on my part, but it’s something new to me. After having the plane a year and a half, my comfort level with it being composite has increased exponentially, but I flew metal for for 25 years, so it’s still new. Of course, my last metal airplane was 53 years old when I sold it vs my 16 year old plastic plane!

Thanks, 
Jeff

8 hours ago, Towner said:

Mike,

I think loading an electric scooter would be similar to a set of golf clubs. If the scooter is working well for you, maybe the clubs will work for me.

This is great info because I’d love to get an electric scooter for my plane too. I was looking at some that weighed about 40 lbs., but I had the same concerns as I did with the golf bags.

Just curious about your scooter…do you leave any portion in the cabin, or is it all in the baggage compartment and farther aft?

As the owner of a CT, I shouldn’t admit this, but I’m still not as comfortable with a composite plane as I am a metal plane. I know this is just ignorance on my part, but it’s something new to me. After having the plane a year and a half, my comfort level with it being composite has increased exponentially, but I flew metal for for 25 years, so it’s still new. Of course, my last metal airplane was 53 years old when I sold it vs my 16 year old plastic plane!

Thanks, 
Jeff

8 hours ago, Towner said:

Mike,

Thanks, 
Jeff

Metal will fatigue until failure which is becoming an issue will high time aircraft today. Carbon fiber and wood will not. It's not easy to see fatigue in metal until failure and is becoming a serious issue in aircraft such as piper Cherokee's, Cessna cardinals,  Cessna 400 series,  even 172's now, and the list will get longer over time. I know aircraft from the 1930's with original wood wing structures still flying with no issues.

When going cross country unload the other half’s steamer trunk and put a full up main wheel ‘back in there’…When considering some PITA factors: killer climate, other pilots trying to land, time and expenses, your health……might be worth it. Or, perhaps it’s high adventure that one seeks.

On 4/17/2022 at 5:12 AM, airhound said:

Any airplane or car experience out there with aerosol tire inflator/sealers?

Started carrying it when I lived in Alaska. Made numerous trips to village airports and did not want to to deal with a flat that would leave me stranded at least overnight nor did I want to want to be changing out a tire that would either be a chilly or mosquito infested experience depending on the season.

Still carry it but have never had to use it. I have heard it will ruin the tube but given the alternatives, I don't care.

I have also been advised to not use it on any car with an internal tire pressure monitoring system.

40 minutes ago, sandpiper said:

Started carrying it when I lived in Alaska. Made numerous trips to village airports and did not want to to deal with a flat that would leave me stranded at least overnight nor did I want to want to be changing out a tire that would either be a chilly or mosquito infested experience depending on the season.

Still carry it but have never had to use it. I have heard it will ruin the tube but given the alternatives, I don't care.

I have also been advised to not use it on any car with an internal tire pressure monitoring system.

Thanks Sandpiper! I wonder my self about surviving an away from home flat——in the heat of the hot/humid summer.

Mike,

Thanks for the update. The scooters I was looking at had about a 25 mile range, which I think will be more than enough for me. Maybe FD should offer them as an option with purchase…and a cup holder!

Great airplanes! I’m gonna go fly now…

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 7:19 PM, Towner said:

Mike,

Thanks for the update. The scooters I was looking at had about a 25 mile range, which I think will be more than enough for me. Maybe FD should offer them as an option with purchase…and a cup holder!

Great airplanes! I’m gonna go fly now…

Jeff

This what I use as a cup holder, fits perfectly under a slightly bent leg.

F45D2AF0-13DA-4606-B980-1A390F738AD2.png

I always keep a bottle of water in the plane and that isn’t a problem. I’m from California so I have to have my Latte (it’s in the California residents handbook somewhere). That’s why I need a cup holder.

I never chewed tobacco, but I enjoy my cigars. Couldn’t get myself to smoke one in the old airplanes, even though they had ashtrays!

On 4/18/2022 at 7:13 PM, airhound said:

Thanks Sandpiper! I wonder my self about surviving an away from home flat——in the heat of the hot/humid summer.

I carry a spare tube and everything I need to swap it out.  It's not much stuff and fits in the floor compartment.  But I have the small wheels and can swap them relatively easy, I know getting the tundra tires on/off the wheels is more...challenging.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:50 PM, delta4242 said:

This what I use as a cup holder, fits perfectly under a slightly bent leg.

I have found that a water bottle will lie very well in the depressed rectangular tray behind the throttle.  I have never had a bottle come out of that in 850 hours of sporty maneuvering, grass landings, and turbulence.  It doesn't seem like it would keep a bottle in place, but it works very well.  I have not used it in all flight conditions, however...   :D

...or at all really | Tumblr
I do agree the CTs could use a real cup holder.

On 4/18/2022 at 7:19 PM, Towner said:

Mike,

Thanks for the update. The scooters I was looking at had about a 25 mile range, which I think will be more than enough for me. Maybe FD should offer them as an option with purchase…

FD did at one time offer a belly pod option to hold a wheelchair.  Maybe the same or similar pod could hold two electric or gas scooters?  A belly pod is WAY more convenient than trying to shoehorn transportation into the cabin or baggage bays.