2006 CTSW

Garuda

Greetings - I completely understand what you're after and difficulty in finding a FD capable set of eyes.  A step to consider if you're still in the early buying phase would be to download the maintenance manuals & service bulletins and familiarize yourself with the handful of bigger ticket items that should have been completed and noted in log books (not all will / may apply).

SERVICE DOCUMENTS - FLIGHT DESIGN

FORMS-MANUALS « flightdesignusa

CT's are rather simple airplanes, and most of these items are minor / low cost, but a couple to understand being bigger hassle and cost are:

Stabilizer rear wall stiffening & trim tab reinforcement, (depends on what design of stab airplane has - may not apply)

Firewall blanket installed?

When was chute last repacked and rocket replaced?

Then on the engine side, time since gearbox inspection / overhaul, rubber change (including carbs serviced), 2000 hour TBO extension, ignition boxes - updated to soft start / how many hours on original (they are not cheap and typically don't run forever).  These are the major items I can think of.

Lastly, if you have not learned of the 15 year engine replacement debate, there are two views on Rotax manual stating replace engine at 15 years v/s FD being the manufacture of airplane and not stating that, among other points and FAA documents.  From my perspective this is not an issue on engine, but buying a SW might find you with a mechanic who differs - whoever you plan to use I'd check that both of you are aligned.  Converting to E-LSA is always an out and smart in my view as well, for a host of reasons.

With the expert advice on this site, I won’t give an opinion on a pre-buy and let others make the suggestions. But, remember that planes built in the first half of 2006 had a 1500 tbo while the last half of the year are a 2000 tbo. I guess the case was changed for the 2000 tbo. 

Mine has the 1500 tbo, but the price was right. Just something to think about.

6 minutes ago, Towner said:

With the expert advice on this site, I won’t give an opinion on a pre-buy and let others make the suggestions. But, remember that planes built in the first half of 2006 had a 1500 tbo while the last half of the year are a 2000 tbo. I guess the case was changed for the 2000 tbo. 

Mine has the 1500 tbo, but the price was right. Just something to think about.

The engines built in the later half of the year are not automatically 2000 hour TBO. They must be modified to extend the TBO. The cost for extending the TBO is minimal. It wasn't until 2010 that production engines had 2000 hour TBO.