SCAMs in Aviation

johnnyjr

Recovering CT owner that moved on to a VANs RV-6.  I wanted to post this since I do return back to this forum often to see how the community is doing and respond to PMs I still get often.

For those that don't know the aviation, GA specifically is getting bombarded with scams, mostly on avionics, usually GPS units.  It's important that we all keep and eye out and warn others since not everyone is in the know.  I'm part of a few forums, Facebook pages, etc... and it's been hard to see the amount of scams for aviation items for sale that pop up.  I do my best to warn people, but I can't get to them all.   

For anyone interested there are a few good scam related stickies on the VAF for sale forum that will help guide folks to make good, educated decisions.  Please know, if the price sounds to good, IT REALLY IS.  No one in the industry is going to sell a $10K GPS for half price when full price units are sold in days, if not hours.

End of rant, hope all your CT owners are enjoying the changing of the seasons!  Fly safe, buy smart!

Just now, FlyingMonkey said:

"Recovering CT owner" ?  If CT ownership is a disease, I hope I never recover.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm recovering from the loss of the CT, I really wish I could own 2 planes, one for fast XC flights, good high DA performance as well as a fuel sipping, fun little plane for a $50 hamburger.  I'm lucky to still be able to get up in my old CT since the new owner is here on the field.  He is training and asks me to take him or his family up every once in a while.

12 minutes ago, johnnyjr said:

I'm recovering from the loss of the CT, I really wish I could own 2 planes, one for fast XC flights, good high DA performance as well as a fuel sipping, fun little plane for a $50 hamburger.  I'm lucky to still be able to get up in my old CT since the new owner is here on the field.  He is training and asks me to take him or his family up every once in a while.

That's good you can visit your CT from time to time!  All airplanes are cool, we are all supremely lucky that we can own any airplane.

I'm not as familiar with the RV-6, it looks like it was replaced by the -7 which I do know a little about.  What is different between them?  Enjoy it, looks like a great airplane.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

That's good you can visit your CT from time to time!  All airplanes are cool, we are all supremely lucky that we can own any airplane.

I'm not as familiar with the RV-6, it looks like it was replaced by the -7 which I do know a little about.  What is different between them?  Enjoy it, looks like a great airplane.

The 7 is the new 6, the kit is mostly prefab'ed leading to a much quicker build, the 7 have slightly different internal wing structure but almost identical shape, the VS and rudder are a bit larger and finally the gear is a little taller.  They fly almost identical to each other, would be hard for most to tell the difference if you didn't know what to look for.  Very fast planes, easy to fly, gentle unless you force then.  What ever the pilot commands, they will do with little to no hesitation.  

RV's are great planes. At least he didn't embarrass you by having to put flaps down! Once he gets his gear  leg fairings and wheel pants on, watch out!!😎

A guy here is building a -7 with the IO-390, 210 HP and doing everything he can think of to squeeze every last knot out of it. Should be a fun airplane.