exploded view of CTSW master cylinder required

colin_eyres

Hi, has anybody got any experience of replacing the master cylinder seals on a 2007 CTSW?

could anybody supply a exploded view of the internals of the master cylinder,  also do you think there would be any exchange units available? if not how much would a new unit be?

would there be a seals service kit available?

if possible it would be helpful if the dimensions of the seals could also be given as I can imagine in the UK that to obtain a new/exchange will be impossible and maybe a second hand unit off a scrapped aircraft could be nearly as bad as our leaking unit.finally would the seals have to be made of a special material to resist the effects of the mineral oil used on the braking system.many thanks in anticipation guys

Assuming you have the original (gold) wheels, these are from Marc Ingenuity - (marc-ingegno.it)  I didn't dig too deep into this website but will point you this direction.

I have a spare set I acquired but not exactly looking to part with them, if you're in a major bind I'd consider helping out.

I think if I was facing a replacement I'd upgrade to Matco brand and scrap the Marc.

The marc wheels are lighter and probably cheaper.

If I ordered one, I would order it with matcos though.

Upside to marc wheels: they go great with the smaller tires. It's the bigger tires (6.00-6) that I think stress the beads too much when inflated. Had four wheels come apart at the wheel beads with those tires and wheel combinations.

On 6/12/2022 at 12:16 AM, FredG said:

Matco Brake in the US sells a new, reasonably priced replacement for the original CTsw master cylinder.  No need to rebuild the Marc Ingegno unit.  Several owners on this site have installed the Matco MC.  

I did this years ago.  At the time I priced it out the Marc MC was like $400 and the Matco was like $70.  The Matco was much higher quality too and has been going strong for 7 years.

5 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I did this years ago.  At the time I priced it out the Marc MC was like $400 and the Matco was like $70.  The Matco was much higher quality too and has been going strong for 7 years.

FYI, the current price of the Matco master cylinder MCMC-4CT is $204.74.

8 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

With the issues with the Marc’s before I can’t believe they went back. Marc’s have never been as good as the Matco’s and the Marc’s parts are harder to come by, ask any technical questions and more expensive. Seems like a step backward.

I think it is about the weight. This new airplane had almost 600 pounds useful load, kind of like the old days with the early SW's. By the way it is registered as a CTSW.

12 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I think it is about the weight. This new airplane had almost 600 pounds useful load, kind of like the old days with the early SW's. By the way it is registered as a CTSW.

IMO the Matcos are worth the extra couple of pounds.  But I do understand if you think that way eventually you end up with a porky airplane.  The CT Super is a super cool airplane, if I was going to buy something new or slightly used that's where I'd look.  IMO utility in the LSA world is all about useful load.

Hi guys,just for your infomation I've managed to track down a seal service kit for the Marc Ingregno master cylinder from Airmasters in the UK. and I'm going to attempt the seal change over this coming saturday and I will keep you up to speed on how I fare. many thanks for everybodys input on the matter and if this kit dosn't solve my problem then I will certainly look into changing over to Matco. if anybody else is interested in the size of the Marc Ingregno seals they are:

17 x 14 x 1.8

14.5 x 11 x1.8

12.5 x 9 1.8

8 x 4.5 x1.8

Hi Roger,as mentioned in my last post the seals were obtained from Airmasters in the UK. I dont know how long he'd had the seals in his stock but he implied that he couldn't supply a new or exchange unit for me.inluding the post it was just under £20 which I thought was'nt too bad for OEM parts. it was a 2 man job today to get the master cylinder out from the centre tunnel and we were surprised that 3 of the 4 seals were ok. the smallest one that was attached to the end of the piston rod was a different story. the aircraft has now had the check valve, parking brake valve and finally the re furb of the master cylinder.both the check valve and the master cylinder seals have suffered major damage .but there again the aircraft has approx 2400hours on the airframe with the braking problems starting about 50 hours prior,and this is the first time we've had any problems with the operation of the brakes

seals.thumb.jpg.dc60d7a582c3ee280e2aba7ddbbed448.jpg fingers are now crossed!!

• 8 months later...

It's a drop in replacement, but if you're S-LSA, matco stuff technically needs an MRA.

I installed the master cylinder in addition to the wheels on mine, never looked back, hands down better in nearly every way.

Only issue is that FD decided *against* the 1 inch spacer for the 6.00-6 tires which would have made it much easier than having to use trigger clamps.