Oil Reservoir flooded with fuel?

Animosity2k

1 hour ago, airhound said:

Any inner tube suggestions?

This is what I ordered from Desser the other day. All new tubes and tires for mains and front. I went w/ the 11/32 monster tread tires. My understanding is they way quite a bit more but can take a lot more landings for only $30 more a tire! 

tireorderdesser.PNG

Just curious, have you received these tires yet? If so, are they a flat shaped tire or rounded? No picture on their website. If they are the flatter shaped tires, I just wonder how they feel during crosswind landings. I agree that  $30 isn’t much to get some extra life for a tire. Please keep me updated on how they work out.

I have been using monster tires for years. They are flat out worth it. The effect on crosswind landing isn't something that tires are supposed to be a factor in though.

They ARE heavy though, very heavy. I want to say there is another 3 pounds of rubber on each of them.

Actually, tire type and shape can make a difference on how landings “feel”. Doesn’t mean either style won’t work. In a strong crosswind landing, you normally land on one side of the tire and slowly “roll” to the center of the tire as you let the plane come down onto the other main. On a few other types of airplanes I’ve flown, a flat profile tire can make the “roll” a little more abrupt. Not a big deal, just different. I’ve just never tried the flatter profile on the CT so I thought I’d ask. I just put new mains on but it looks like the monster tread may be the way to go in the future.

I misunderstood, i thought you were asking about if they somehow made your crosswind landings better.

What you are thinking of is the ply rating. Lower ply ratings are softer tires. Ply doesn't actually mean how many plies the tire has, it's become a standard to mean the stiffness these days. Higher is more stiff.

Ply rating is part of your aircraft suspension, think catefully before fitting a tire with a different ply rating.

I’m actually referring to the tire shape. On some tires, the tread has a very curved shape from the center of the tread, curving all the way to the side wall. When looking at the tire from the front, the tread is clearly rounded, allowing an easy roll from one edge of the tire, through the center of the tread pattern, to the other side of the tread (Yes, I know you can’t really roll onto the inside of the tire when mounted).

On other tires, when looking at the tire from the front, they are very flat from one edge of the tread to the edge of the tread on the other side. Because of the flat tread shape, the area where the tread mates to the sidewall is a fairly sharp curve. On these, a crosswind landing puts you on the fairly sharp curve shape, moving quickly to a flat shape as you level during the crosswind landing. I don’t know if any of that makes sense.

I also realize that tires are soft and have give as weight is added to the corner of a flat shaped tire, giving it a more rounded shape when in contact with the ground, as well as the aerodynamic controlling of an airplane can be used to control the roll as you move from the edge of the tire to the center .

I only mentioned this because I had both tire shapes on a prior airplane. Both me and the other pilot noticed the difference. Again, no big deal, just different. But, the other plane was a much heavier, more stable plane, with tires that were higher in psi, so I didn’t know how it may affect the CTs.

Anyway, I was just looking for the the overall opinion of someone who has used the tires. If you say they are good, that’s good enough for me! Sorry for the confusion!

Between my tundra gear and Desser monster retreads my plane rides really rough on turf. So rough that I keep it on pavement.

When I was transitioning a guy into his CT2k I was amazed how his plane rode so smoothly on the same turf runway that I will not take my plane on.

Before my Desser tires I had Goodyear Custom III's. Much smoother and easier to mount on my Matco wheels. I think I will go back to the Custom III's or possibly Custom II's this fall.

If I can get over the price of the Goodyears. They are really proud of them and that was pre Covid. Can't wait to price them now!

Edited by sandpiper
spelling

• 4 weeks later...