Passenger Stick Removal

tevbax

So here's a question - would a MRA be required to remove the pax side stick from the airplane? 06' CTSW, PTT button on the handle. 

My 3 year old is begging me to go up for a flight. Fastened into the harness with a booster seat, she is far enough away from the panel to not cause any disruptions. The stick however, is located between her feet. I feel this could create an unsafe situation if she decides she wants to play "kick the stick". 

Suggestions? 

Personally, I'd say in this case "it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission."  It's super simple to do and doesn't affect flight safety at all, so just do it.  There are just two bolts that hold the stick to a small horn at the base under the boot.  The only tricky part is there are two wires for the push-to-talk button that you'll have to clip.  You can then install a small two-wire quick disconnect connector for the wires.  Honestly, I clipped the wires and never got around to installing the connector...nobody ever uses the radio button from my passenger side anyway.

Be aware the stick horn under the boot will still stick up a bit.  When I take the stick out I take the boot off the stick, zip tie the opening shut, and re-install the boot.  That keeps dirt and grime from getting in there.  Be aware your kid could still put their foot down on the boot and interfere with the horn, unless you make some kind of hard cover for the boot area.