Change at FD USA

This morning I called Flight Design USA and asked to speak with Arian to order some parts. I found out that Arian is leaving FD. The woman I talked to said she wasn't sure when he is leaving and wouldn't say where he is going. She said he is only working 8 to 10am M-F until he leaves.

I have always found him to be easy to work with. I will miss him and wish him good luck in his new endeavors. 

Natasha is Tom Peghiny's wife. She is Ukrainian and I have been working with her to obtain donations for the Kherson employees for a while. The situation is very bad in Kherson and any money makes a huge difference.  A dollar goes a long way in Ukraine for food and meds. It is increasingly difficult to get people to donate as the war is old info. I collect money through my store in Savannah, GA but it's a slow process 

Any of you still willing to donate, it will make a huge difference, just call Natasha.  The money only goes to the employees, there are 230 employees 

Some prewar photos 

20220316_170124.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Read the Flight Design newsletter dated July 29 at Oshkosh but arriving here on 1 Aug.

Airtime Aviation (Gutmann & Gutmann) of Tulsa are taking over from Flight Design USA, Tom Peghiney.  Peghiny will stay on in a consulting role.  The king is dead.  Long live the king.

The newsletter in the previous message says FD has 65 orders on the books and expects to deliver 3 aircraft a month by the end of 2022.  That means the backlog right now is 22 months, and that isn't saying what happens between now and the end of 2022 to get production rolling.  I was told by Daniel Guenther of FD at Oshkosh that the plant in the Czech Republic is progressing (I don't know if it is producing or when it will start).  In the meantime, the plant in Taiwan is focusing on the Asian market, I was told.  I'm nto sure what that means for parts.

Tom Gutmann Jr., told me Airtime Aviation was doing more repair and less parts replacement but didn't seem critically concerned about parts when we talked at Oshkosh.

https://flyct.com Airtime Aviation

I had a long talk with Tom Peghiny at Oshkosh.  I told him how much I appreciated everything he and his team did for FD, and that I was sorry to see him change positions.  At the same time, if such a change had to be, I am happy the Gutmann's are the new service and support center.  I've had very good working relationships with the Gutmanns over the years.

Tom Peghiny's reasons for leaving are as much personal as business.  He has my utmost empathy and appreciation.

I purchased my plane from Airtime, and worked closely with both of the Gutmann principals. In addition to handling the sale, they did fairly extensive work on the plane for me, prior to my taking possession. I found them to be great to work with, during and after the sale.  I expect they'll do a good job in their new role.

Andy

19 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

Read the Flight Design newsletter dated July 29 at Oshkosh but arriving here on 1 Aug.

Airtime Aviation (Gutmann & Gutmann) of Tulsa are taking over from Flight Design USA, Tom Peghiney.  Peghiny will stay on in a consulting role.  The king is dead.  Long live the king.

Oh...that's quite a change.  My airplane was originally an Airtime sale, though I bought it second-hand.

I suspect it will be a long and difficult transition to the Czech Republic operation. Financial and logistic issues will not be easy especially in the economic state of affairs in that part of the world. Kherson is completely isolated and still under seige with no travel possible , which takes it completely out of the picture for the acquired expertise. I hope all works out but I believe it will be difficult. 

3 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

I suspect it will be a long and difficult transition to the Czech Republic operation. Financial and logistic issues will not be easy especially in the economic state of affairs in that part of the world. Kherson is completely isolated and still under seige with no travel possible , which takes it completely out of the picture for the acquired expertise. I hope all works out but I believe it will be difficult. 

I imagine all the jigs, dies, and custom equipment for building CTs is still stuck in Kherson and will be until this conflict resolves.  Having to re-create all that in the Czech Republic will take money and time.  Not to mention they are moving into a new regulatory environment and who knows what legal/permitting challenges they might run into.

The people are the important thing of course, hopefully they can get the rest of the folks out.

It was my understanding the Russians would like to get the economy around Kherson going again so they can get the taxes.  I got the impression FD was not expecting to do any business through their old plant.  A considerable number of the employees apparently were able to get out but others are behind lines and wish they weren't.  Travel is a challenge, according to my German sources.

Energy acquisition in Europe is going to be a problem and will be prioritized.  Even if the plant and people are available in Czechia, they may be challenged to operate.

We'd probably all be well advised to maintain and repair thoughtfully with the concern that spare parts may in some cases be hard to get.

• 2 weeks later...