Flying with an empty wing

NC Bill

Hi Jim,

The fuel tanks are flat, Rectangle, 17 gals, reside just behind the wing spare. The fuel cap is the out board of the tank. There are baffles in the tanks. The only thing you have for options are to re-align the mushroom and gauges or fly as is. You may find re-alignment a challenge, but it can be done. This has been around since the beginning with the CT's and is in other aircraft , too. People haven't had any issues with it and now that you know I doubt you will either.

Tad, thanks for the info. Are you indicating that you apply heat to mushroom to reform this if it is not fitting correctly after adjusting it or are you applying heat to the foam pads to reform them after you adjust the mushroom?

don't forget the thanks are not identical

both behind the spars but the spars are not facing, the right one is behind the left

so the right fuel cap if further back from the wing leading edge and ...the right wing tank, being less deep, [ from front to back] is longer to achieve the same capacity...but different shape

so a different air/fuel flow..so ......, fill it up, use them as 6 hrs fuel range and you will be fine :D

although, I have landed a few times with only 7-8 litres left

Tad, thanks for the info. Are you indicating that you apply heat to mushroom to reform this if it is not fitting correctly after adjusting it or are you applying heat to the foam pads to reform them after you adjust the mushroom?

Apply heat to the mushroom, the foam pads are friction fit and held in place with a spot of glue way behind the EMS/EFIS up by the windshield.

Again, it doesn't take much heat to reform the mushroom. The results are fantastic though.

Flying uncordinated seemed to me like an odd way to manage fuel however it's apparently not uncommon. A buddy of mine is a retired corporate pilot and told me they regularly flew 1/2 bubble off to manage fuel in a Falcon 20. You would think in a multi million dollar jet they could have done better.

Like I have told many others it is not uncommon especially in the GA world for all aircraft sizes. That said many planes instruments are not as accurate as the pilot may like to believe. So what you may think is a half bubble out may be in all actuality in trim. Put an 8" piece of yarn just above the top center cowl screw, tie each end in a knot to keep it from fraying and and go see if your ball is as centered as you think.

Roger, the string works on gliders but doesn't the prop wash prevent the string from working on our CT's? This is a stupid question since you wouldn't recommend it but I had to ask anyway. I note that my turn/bank indicator has slots at the four screws which attach it to the instrument panel for adjustment. I'm going to level up my CTSW today in the side-to-side direction and see what the ball says. If the ball is out, I'll have it set to "center".

When I first brought up the string and out of trim, the main complaint by some was the prop wash. I said it didn't affect it, so off to test my theory. Helicopters use the string all the time and the down wash doesn't affect it. I flew those for 6-7 years and it was by the string.

I took my CT and while flying I shut off the engine. The problem was at too fast a speed the prop will still rotate. So I slowed down until the prop stopped the string never changed. I tried it both ways with the ball centered and the string out to the side and with the string centered. Turning off the engine or running it never made a difference.

• 2 years later...

I left my filled plane out on my farm overnight on a slanted spot and in the morning found fuel had flown into and overflowed the lower tank.

Did you have your fuel selector off?

The "Y" or "T" connection is before the fuel shut off. If you drained all fuel you could have an air lock. If you had fuel in all the lines I'm sure it would have drained to the other side.

The "Y" or "T" connection is before the fuel shut off. If you drained all fuel you could have an air lock. If you had fuel in all the lines I'm sure it would have drained to the other side.

Tom, I knew that! (But I forget). The Law of Primacy at work as in some planes that isn't the case. Thanks for reminding me.

I emptied completely both wings, then filled one wing to the top. I waited one week with the plane level on the ground. Nothing went to the other wing that remained empty. Is there not a principle of communicating vases . Another pilot told me they should balance overnight

I emptied completely both wings, then filled one wing to the top. I waited one week with the plane level on the ground. Nothing went to the other wing that remained empty. Is there not a principle of communicating vases . Another pilot told me they should balance overnight

Put one gallon in the other side start it up and run it, and I bet it will transfer then.

Brand new airplane CTLSi. Put the fuel selector valve on the right wing to isolate the left wing fuel system. Header tank empty. Put in 4 gal of fuel and waited. No gravity feed to the header tank noted. Then lifted the left wing and sloshed the fuel a little and then fuel "gurgled" to the header tank. Flow out of the fuel check port was fine after that. I guess sometimes it takes a while for the vent system to allow fuel

leveling. Anyone else have an explanation?

I don't. There is a flap valve on the baffle near the wing root end of each tank. The feed line is a goose neck into each tank. The high part of the neck is 15mm above the bottom of the tank. A stuck vent might prevent fuel from flowing. I'm not saying any of those is the issue, just that they are facets of the fuel system. I'd think full tanks would break the vacuum in the goose neck, but the shaking would help, one would suspect.

Archived