Cleaning the belly

Cirrus airplanes have/had a chronic oily belly problem.

The best product seemed to be the home cleaner "Scrubbing Bubbles". There's a warning on the can that its not for painted surfaces, but if sprayed on and wiped right off it seems to have no ill effect and does a great job.

As a side note, it was this very topic that caused me to leave another site when the owner did not want C****s airplanes even mentioned, nor any "non- aviation" product.

Silly.

I used a citrus based spray de-greaser the other day. Sprayed on, wiped off quickly, followed by a water cloth, then Composiclean spray wax. Took the exhaust stains off very easy. Didnt seem to have any detrimental effects to the paint.

By the way, if anyone is in need of Composiclean products, Im a dealer.

Regards

Hello. See that there's this new FD forum? Not sure what's up with that? Anyhoo, I just cleaned the belly of my CT. It had yellow exhaust stains running from just rear of the exhaust pipe to the rear dorsal. I used rubbing alcohol and just soaked a rag with it. Just used the cheap stuff. It took all stains off with hardly no rubbing. I waxed the belly afterwards. Hopefully, alcohol is OK to use. I have used it before on other parts of the plane and it seems to not affect or degrade the paint.

I note that others have used Composiclean with good results but this would not touch the yellow stains I had. Only alcohol removed these.

Hi Dick,

Glad to hear from you again. Hope you do some more posting. How are the Matco brakes doing?

The oily film on the bottom is common on many of our planes after a number of hours. The oil reservoir's vent tube comes out at the bottom and the exhaust vapors. I usually don't use alcohol except on small adhesive spots I need to remove, then I use Goof Off. Then wipe with a clean wet cloth. A couple products very popular on the CT group is "Oil Eater" sold at Costco and "Super Simple Green". Both are water based and bio degradable. These take all the oily stain right off, then just wipe that area with a clean wet fresh water cloth. I have been using Oil Eater as others have here for 3.5 years. I will say that any thing that usually cuts grease or oil is a base or alkaline.

Hi Roger. The Matco brakes are working well. I've now got about 100 hours on the hobbs since installation and no worries. The best thing, and main reason for going with the Matco brakes, axles and wheels, is that my Desser tires with 100 hours look like new due to my corrected toe-in and camber.

Thanks for the welcome. The forum has a comfortable feeling.

Dick

Hi,

I use pure orange oil, which is made out of peelings of oranges. This works fantastic. As a side effect, the plane smells fresh after the cleaning :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Markus

Not to mention the advantages of vitamin C

• 3 weeks later...

Denatured rubbing alcohol works extremely well for removing yellow fuel stains on the belly or around the fuel filler. Get the cheap stuff, soak a spot on a rag and it works instantly with no rubbing needed. I follow up with ComposiClean Wax/cleaner.

Archived