Panel Upgrade

Jim Meade

I'm interested in adding nav and a second com radio to my CTSW.

Right now I have (subject to recall of a plane I just got and left for annual so don't have it in front of me):

Dynon 100

Dynon 120

TruTrak AP

KR197 (I'm guessing that is the right number) com

Transponder I don't remember make & model

Garmin 496 panel mount

Steam gauge ASI, second gauge I don't recall. Mag compass, naturally.

I have an Icom A6 handheld xcvr. No external antenna for it yet.

I'd like to have nav capabilty and a second com. (SL30?)

I'd like to have a Dynon SkyView if I think I can get along with the 7" screen and small fonts. The 10" seems to be too large to fit the panel.

Panel space might be tight to add much more.

I'd like to have HSI displayed on the Dynon 100/Skyview if possible.

I want altitude hold on the AP. Will the Skyview drive the TruTrak AP? I am not sure based on what I've read.

Money will be an issue. I would be willing to consider a different GPS if necessary.

Any suggestions/comments welcome. I want HSI, an additional nav/com and would very much like synthetic vision.

Jim,

If you have a TruTrak Digiflight IIVS AP (factory option for CTsw), it has altitude hold and vertical speed capability (you can select level flight or a rate of climb/descent). Also, it will communicate with the panel mounted Garmin 496 (and other GPS) to fly a route programmer into the GPS.

Fred

Thanks, Fred,

Sounds good. I'll explore if the 496 will put an HSI on the Dynon 100. I'd really like synthetic vision but fear the SkyView won't talk wtih the TruTrak. I have to learn better how to do some fancier flight route planning in the 496. I have done some.

Jim,

The 496 will provide input to the HSI view on the D100 and the Skyview (and D100) will not talk to the TruTrak AP. You'd need to replace the TruTrak with the Dynon AP which may not fit in the CTSW (see prior post by Coppercity).

Synthetic vision and other Skyview functions would be nice but it sounds like you have a very good glass panel which will give you a lot functionality. I'd suggest flying for awhile before dropping 5 figures to do the upgrade.

I've been unsatisfied with my Tru Trac DVII. In extreamly smooth air ir will hold alt, heading somewhat . I have mine slaved to my 496 and will fly GPS approaches, etc. What the problem is after I get everything trimmed up and engage the a/p it immediately will decend at 600 fpm then after after 45 secs. it will climb up, past target alt. Now since I know it will do this I'll engage then immediately trim for pitch to escape the sudden decent, then we'll go along for a while and it will just randomly change course to the right at a medium bank angle. any ideas??

Jim,

The 496 will provide input to the HSI view on the D100 and the Skyview (and D100) will not talk to the TruTrak AP. You'd need to replace the TruTrak with the Dynon AP which may not fit in the CTSW (see prior post by Coppercity).

Synthetic vision and other Skyview functions would be nice but it sounds like you have a very good glass panel which will give you a lot functionality. I'd suggest flying for awhile before dropping 5 figures to do the upgrade.

I've flown synthetic vision in it's test phase at the OPL at the University of Iowa. I am very, very interested in having one in my airplane, especially since I don't have the option of flying over the top and I want every advantage if I'm flying VFR in less than CAVU and 10 miles viz.

The Dynon Skyview system has some great panel saving features like the new integrated transponder and its own GPS. I would just stick with the tru track AP, although it cant be driven by the Dynon as far as I know. It should should have altitude hold already, but does not have an altitude pre select like a Dynon autopilot would have. An SL-30 can be tied into the Skyview as another NAV. It can be selected instead of the GPS and would be displayed on the HSI. Your current setup can do that as well with the HS-34 module added. If you want to add a second comm radio take a look at the new PS engineering audio panel with a built in comm radio, looks really nice and takes up less panel space then a second Garmin with additional audio panel.

Eric,

Very interesting, indeed. Thanks for the referral. I'd have to swap the King out for something with a Nav in it, but this radio can monitor the standby frequency, a feature I've found I like a lot. It looks like it's 2.5" high which might be a problem - I'd have to look. I'm going to have to look into this.

Archived