What else is set wrong?

Jim Meade

Last month, I bought a 2007 CTSW that had 67 hours on it. The Dynon D100 and 120 had been back to the factory for upgrade or something. The previous owner is dead so while there is some information, it is not always certain.

At annual, Kent Johnson reprogrammed the D120 and remarked that it was way off in many of the settings.

On a recent trip, I was told by two towers that I had no altitude reporting. After an hour or so of troubleshooting by a good mechanic who doesn't know the Dynon, I dropped by and he told me no output from the convertor. Before we ordered anther, I called Dynon tech support and in about 5 minutes we had the altitude reporting working by resetting format from None to 1.

I'm beginning to wonder if when the Dynons went to the factory they got some kind of generic settings applied. Following that line of thinking, my next question - the point of this whole post, actually, is whether there is a generic set of settings typically appropriate for my plane, and if so, where can they be found? I'd like to review them to see if my settings are appropriate or if there are other surprises in store that I've not yet discovered.

Hi Jim,

Not really much to adjust. The easiest way is to download the user manual and installation manual if you don't have them off the Dynon website. There are a few things you could play with, but unless you know they are out and know how to adjust them then any tinkering may cause you to be out worse. The best thing is to get the two manuals and read them first then set in front of each and play a little. My D100 came from the FD factory and the altitude encoder was not turned on, too. It took a few minutes to figure it out like you and I just turned it on.

Jim, depending on how old the update version of your Dynons were things could have been way off. The early 120's didn't have Rotax settings, just a generic engine. With later versions you can select Rotax as the type of engine you have and all the settings should be correct. For the D-100, John Hurst from Sebring Aviation used to have the Flight Design Settings online somewhere. It could be downloaded and installed to give all the special numbers. I think there was also a Flight Design checklist that could be downloaded too. Tom

Hi Jim,

I'm teaching a class today until 1700 hrs. If you call me after 1800 hrs. Tucson time I will be happy yo explain about your Dynon D100 and D120. I can tell you what your setting should be and which ones you can personalise. The current Dynon update version is 5.4

520-574-1080

Archived