Painting The CT

Can anyone provide a manufacturer and paint code to use for our CT? I have a spot near one the fuel filler on my right wing that was re-painted with the factory white paint and this crazes when fuel is allowed to come in contact with it - not good for an area near the fuel fill! I would like to have this small area repainted with a fuel resistant paint. Maybe Imron 2-part or something similar? I got a PPG "single stage" paint code a while ago - 912195. Does anyone have information regarding paint?

Hi Tad. Didn't consider taking in the spinner - good idea for getting a scan done on this. I'll work on getting a furel resistant paint made here in the U.S. that cross references to the CT factory RAL9016. There is a chain of paint stores here in Michigan that supply most of the auto shops and I'll work with them to come up with a good paint to use. I have a A&P friend who does a lot of Imron aircraft painting and he'll help me too. I'll report back when I get this straightened out.

Dick,

All you need to do is go to the Auto Body paint store and they can easily cross reference this. It can be done over the internet. It is called Traffic White. They have matched it for me a couple of times and no problems. You can get it in the paint that you want.

I appreciate the replies. My goal is to come up with a paint that will not be affected by fuel, once it cures. Calling the paint store today, they are a PPG supply house and they supply most of the auto repair shops in the Detroit area. They said that they could supply me with a single stage, urethane paint and to make sure it matches, they recommend that I bring in a part from the plane. I would have to buy the color ($55 per pint), reducer ($35 per quart) and catalyst ($28 quart). The store also said that I should use a epoxy primer which adds more cost to this.

Tad, you indicate that you also have paint custom matched by a PPG supplier for each plane you repair and also that you use a single stage urethane. Am I correct that you have indicated that you can get this for $27 per quart (plus cost for reducer and for the catalyst)?

BMcCand, I talked to Arian at FD today and he indicated that Traffic White is the name of the color but didn't indicate where to get this. Are you indicating that FD indicated to you that NAPA (as in NAPA automotive parts) has the Traffic White in urethane?

Roger, I found the same thing as Tad indicates when I tried to cross match the RAL9016 paint code and also asked them if they had a Traffic White. The paint store said that the RAL9016 cross referenced to a "commercial" paint and it only comes in very large quantities. Basically a dead end for this. I'm wondering where get your paint by just telling them you want Traffic White? You always seem to find stuff that isn't available around here where I live.

I also called an Imron supplier. I know a little about Imron and consider this paint to to be a popular choice for areas where there is fuels and solvents. The Imron paint store said that it would match my color and could supply me with the Imron for slightly less cost than the PPG single stage urethane.

Jim, if I have paint left over, I'll contact you. I have a little bottle of Testor's white paint that has worked well for me but it probably isn't resistant to fuel. This can be purchased in hobby shops for a few $$'s. You might consider this for touch-up in areas not close to the fuel fillers - like fronts of the wheel fairings and engine cowling.

I appreciate the replies. My goal is to come up with a paint that will not be affected by fuel, once it cures. Calling the paint store today, they are a PPG supply house and they supply most of the auto repair shops in the Detroit area. They said that they could supply me with a single stage, urethane paint and to make sure it matches, they recommend that I bring in a part from the plane. I would have to buy the color ($55 per pint), reducer ($35 per quart) and catalyst ($28 quart). The store also said that I should use a epoxy primer which adds more cost to this.

Tad, you indicate that you also have paint custom matched by a PPG supplier for each plane you repair and also that you use a single stage urethane. Am I correct that you have indicated that you can get this for $27 per quart (plus cost for reducer and for the catalyst)?

BMcCand, I talked to Arian at FD today and he indicated that Traffic White is the name of the color but didn't indicate where to get this. Are you indicating that FD indicated to you that NAPA (as in NAPA automotive parts) has the Traffic White in urethane?

Roger, I found the same thing as Tad indicates when I tried to cross match the RAL9016 paint code and also asked them if they had a Traffic White. The paint store said that the RAL9016 cross referenced to a "commercial" paint and it only comes in very large quantities. Basically a dead end for this. I'm wondering where get your paint by just telling them you want Traffic White? You always seem to find stuff that isn't available around here where I live.

I also called an Imron supplier. I know a little about Imron and consider this paint to to be a popular choice for areas where there is fuels and solvents. The Imron paint store said that it would match my color and could supply me with the Imron for slightly less cost than the PPG single stage urethane.

Just a qquart of paint is $27, all the other stuff is extra. (hardner, reducer)

I have found the paint to be off just ever so slightly between years, so I always take the spinner in for a sample. It's a PITA, but when it's done... it's perfect!!!

Bill, thanks for the info. I'll call and see if my local NAPA has the paint and try to determine what it is. For my area that's on top of the wing, if the NAPA is urethane (and the color is close), this should be a low hassle and inexpensive way to go. For other areas that are highly visable, Tad's recommendation to get a single stage paint color matched to one's airplane is probably the way to go.

Archived