Biulding a Vans RV for sale

Tad Olmsted

I am going to buy a kit from Vans RV and I am trying to narrow down my choices. I'm not real impressed with the looks of the RV-12 and I want to make sure I choose the right airframe to sell quickly. I am thinking of going with the RV-9. I would like some input to help me along.

I know this is going to be a lot of work, so I am going to hire 3 more mechanics to help with the assembly. 4 men at 40 hours a week should get this done in a reasonable time. This project is going to be like building a spec house. Put the money up and hope it sells quickly. If not, I'll keep it and beat the crap out of it trying to get my stinking landings down pat. ( gonna hurt my wallet)

RV9 with anolog gauges, VFR, but with a nice Garmin 696 and auto pilot. Sound good???

I would like to also do some more building of kits for customers. I dont want to put these men on the payroll and then have to lay them off once the RV-9 is done. So I am offering assembly to all, any airframe.

Any referrals will be greatly apriciated

Looks are in the eye of the beholder or something like that. The -12 has to have the right paint job to look good, IMHO. However, note that 500 kits have been sold in about 2 years and over 100 are now flying. Two of my neighbors built spec -12's and both sold. One quickly and one in about 6 months. The problem with building any plane, in this economy, seems to be getting your money back plus a fair profit. Right now there are, I'm told, many RV's out there that can be had for less than the builder/owner paid for the parts and pieces. Good luck.

You might want to consider, to the extent feasible, staring the project and advertising it with the avionics, paint and interior finish options open. That lets a prospective buyer put his own stamp on the plane, which we all like, and may let you find a buyer easier. Of course, at decision time, a deposit would be needed to relieve you of the risk of committing to such specific items, especially if they were not universally popular.

Archived