Flying into Idaho Wilderness

rdeurloo

Attached are two videos of my CT flying into Shearer Airstrip along the Selway River in the Wilderness Area in West Central Idaho. These videos were taken on June 5th. One video is from the cockpit, and the other is the same landing from the ground.

Bob Deurloo

I like it. Were there actually two cameras filming the same landing - or were two different landings filmed? When landing on grass strips, I generally try to land a little right or left of center on the runway, which often seems to be a little smoother.

wlfpckrs

It was one landing. I was filming with a camera on the dash, and there was another guy that I didn't even know on the ground just filming as I came in. He was kind enough to post it on YouTube. The strip looked smooth, but in actuality, was somewhat rough. You pretty much had to land in the middle, as the gras was longer outside the narrow strip. It is a beautiful area and a nice place to camp and fishing is good for cutthroat trout on the Selway.

Bob

Bob, our CTSW's stiff aluminum main struts aren't very forgiving and they pass a lot of input to the airframe on rough fields. I've landed in rough fields in my CTSW and in my friend's CTLS. The CTLS's composite gear really does a nice job of soaking up the bumps in rough terrain. You did a nice coordinated last minute turn to the field. That really is rugged and beautiful country.

Hi Roger. We've pretty much beaten the tire pressure issue to death in other threads but for rough fields in your area, what pressure do you guys use? On my main gear, I'm running 30 psi in my 6.00-6 6 ply Desser tires with Matco rims and on the front, 45 psi in my desser 4.00-6 6 ply with factory rim. I'd like to run less pressure to soften the bumps.

My flight log shows 735 landings on the Desser Monster tires since installing these in January, 2010 and they show very little wear.

With the Matco wheels and larger tire 6.00-6 you could get away with as little as 20 psi in the mains if you needed to like Bob for a rough field. Normal for me is 24-26 psi.

On the front 4.00-6 you could use as little as 20 psi and I usually have 30. If we switched to a Matco front wheel has a much better grip on the tire bead due to a roughening of the wheel edges and a wider bead surface.

Matco wheels are more solid and don't flex like the Italian ones and have a roughed up edge to grip the side wall, plus a wider bead area for the tire to grip. There is no comparison. The Italian wheels are a cheap design. They can keep them in Italy.

Hi Dick,

Matco front wheels are being used on all newer FD LS's and have been for a while. They are by far a more superior wheel and go a long way in preventing the tire from turning on the wheel. I do not personally know of anyone that has swapped out the Italian front wheel for a Matco, but I believe it is a direct swap with tapered roller bearings. There is not fleet LOA and for now it would have to be individual LOA. Maybe I'll give Matco a call Monday and get a wheel and then file for a fleet LOA. No promises though.

• 2 years later...

Yesterday I flew into the Middle Fork of the Salmon River to a private resort ranch for breakfast. The resort is along the Middle Fork of the Salmon River and in the heart of the largest wilderness area in the lower 48 states It is about 45 miles West of Salmon, Idaho.

If you click on "watch the video on youtube" and go to full screen, it is better.

Bob Deurloo

Tom,

I did fly into Caveman and camped out, but that was last year.

At the Flying B with no wind, I land upstream (South) and take off downstream (North) I have also taken off upstream, as I believe there are more options for landing should your engine quit. Day befor yeaserday, I had a friend with me, and a little concerned about my climb rate, so took off down river as the terrain is falling away from you. The only thing is, there is a pretty gnarly canyon down there.

Archived