Cross Wind Limits

207WF

The max demonstrated cross wind in the CT is way below what we can safely do. How high have you gone? On a recent landing at SEZ I had winds 40 degrees off runway heading, 19G29. I think that is my highest to date. WF

my limit at my home field tends to be around 19G30 with winds 90 degrees off runway heading.

landings in these conditions means dealing with turbulence, rapid sink and rapid lift more than x-wind technique. i use up to 70kts and 15 degrees so i'm well set up to counter rapid sink.

We just completed a 2200 nmi trip from Phoenix to Northern Iowa and back, encountering typical Texas / Kansas winds up to 22 G 33 and 30 to 40 degrees off runways and the CTLS had no problem with them. One thing I recommend you watch for is high crosswind + high density altitudes (over 8000'). It is best an "either / or" situation...avoid both at the same time on takeoff!!

Bob N602MR

On my 6200nm trip down to Jamaica, caymans, mexico, miami, etc. Mid afternoon arrivals to the islands I consistantly saw winds 25kts+ 90 degrees to runway heading. One thing different than some of the other pilots who have posted is I use 0 deg flaps and keep 65 kts indicated. I keep crossed up around 2 miles out all the way down. Just like everyone else says the CT works out well for higher than published X/W's. Just FYI the Bahamas don't seem to have the x/w's during the same time of year like the the southern caribbean did. I got my chute done by BRS! Mine was the first "high speed" re-pack. I did not realize that there were 2 different chutes. figure 1000.00 with shipping. Cool part was it only took 1 week!! Mine was not due till Feb 2012, but when I spoke with BRS 1 week ago prior to sending it in they said that they "wern't sure" how they were going to handle "all those chutes". So I decided to get it done early! Happy 4th all!

We get tons of crosswinds here in Bisbee. In the spring your looking at 25 to 35 KTS every afternoon. It is a lot of work to get the CT down in that but it can do it at 0 flap up to the mid 20s. The key is to not stop flying even after you touch down, and be ready to go around at any moment. I still opt for landing on our 800ft dirt taxiway that favors the wind more in these conditions. Just cause it can doesn't mean it should if another option is available.

Archived