2010 - 4th Annual Page Fly-In

Admin

4th Annual Page, AZ. Fly-In

Including Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon... and more!

Make those reservations now.. More people, more planes, different flight venue, bigger and better than last year!

The Page, AZ. Fly-In date is October 14-17, 2010

We will fly the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Zion Canyon and breakfast at Bryce Canyon and Monument Valley.

I managed to block off 40 rooms. We got a great rate of $49 same as last year. Last year I had to beg for our 35 rooms so this year I booked early. If last years attendance was any indicator we will fill all the rooms and have a record number of aircraft not only for our Fly-In, but for Page, too. Just like last year make the reservations early so you don't miss out and the hotel won't hold all 40 rooms forever. I was told they will take some back if people aren't signing up and it's getting late in the game.

Do not wait this year. Book it now and you can cancel up to 24 hours before Oct. 13th. Get it booked and reserved, then if you have to cancel you can, but if you wait again then you may not be staying with the rest of us and at your own peril for rates and possibly a different hotel. They book darn near the whole town in October.

We have a special rate at the same place we stayed last year.

Tell them you are with the "CT Group" or Roger Lee to cross reference and the rate is $49 a night. We will arrive Thursday morning, Oct. 14th. and head home Oct. 17th. Sunday or Monday morning. Breakfast is free in the mornings.

I talked to the people at the Ranch House Grill and they will cater our evening meals again. We will have evening meals together Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Make sure to ask for Elis Brown (she works 8-4 Monday -Friday)

Best Western Arizona Inn

716 Rim View Dr.

Page, Az.

800-826-2718

928-645-2466

We will fly into the Page airport - KPGA.

We are staying with Classic FBO and with our group we should get a 30 cent discount on fuel.

Classic is not the first FBO next to the runway, but the second one behind them.

The Antelope Canyon tour and the Dam tour is open if anyone wants. These are land tours. I'm thinking maybe a BBQ at the park for lunch.

You guys are welcome to invite other planes that are not CT's and everyone is welcome. Find some more LSA's.

I will develop GPS coordinates for all our routes and post them so you can enter them in your own GPS. I have a plan to better deal with all our planes for our flights so they are not crowded in the mornings or evenings.

Don't miss this, we always have fun.

p.s.

I would like everyone coming to shoot me an email so I can put together a roster and call signs like we did last year. If you attended last year and we had your personal info then just say you are coming. If you did not come last year then I would like the email to include: N#, Names of you and co-pilot, cell phone number, city, state.

This is a big help for me to last year to organize our fly outs since we have so many planes and gives old friends and new friends a way to contact each other if need be.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi N69HQ,

Please send me a PM with your name, passenger name, tail number, city, state and cell phone.

I have a list already started, just like last years and it makes contact of each other work well. It also helps me plan meals. You'll have a great time.

Any one else that is going and hasn't sent me any info please do so. I need to add everyone to our list. This helps makes name badges, too.

Thanks All,

Roger Lee

Roger, Lynn and all the others.

As you know, mid-October is the middle of our harvest time; therefore unable to attend.

So as prior to all the other Page Fly-In events, we are unable to attend, again....

Please think of us, as we will be thinking of you folks.

Take lots of pictures.

For the usual group that layover here on the 'go-to' and 'return' leg of the trip, we still have ample room here...

Hi All,

Page, AZ is coming up soon and many have not made their reservations.

If you have not done so then I would highly advise you do so very soon because if we don't use up the rooms we have blocked off they will take them back and many people may not be able to get a room in Page at all. Please take the time and call them. You can cancel if need be up to 24 hrs. in advance, but if they take the rooms away there are not any more.

If you have not sent Roger Lee your personal info yet please do, so he can keep up on our Page group list for everyone. Please send him a PM with your name, passenger name, tail number, city, state and cell phone. If you came last year he already has your info.

Here is a list of people that have reservations in Page, AZ. so far. ( I apologize up front if I have misspelled your name)

Have Reservations Finial List:

Doug Boren

Jacques Gagne

Joe Tully

Ted Linham x 2

Wayne Ferson

Jim Hamilton

Richard Reynolds

Brett Gingery

Jeremey McGregor

Mack Brame

Roger Fane

Tim Greer

Roger Lee

John Johnson

Philip Welsch

John Whiteside

Kurt Kuhlman

Ed DeJong

Tom Covell

Bill Applegate

Brian Carpenter

John-Olav Johnsen

Kenny Scherado

Koerner, Mike

Karsten Ziems from Germany

Jim Hamilton

Jim Nolde

John Sullivan

New revised list as of 10-12-2010

Hi Guys,

I think we are going well past our original 40 rooms at Page. This Fly-In is taking on a life of its own. A lot of new names I don't know. We may drop about 10% the day or two before as usual due to bad weather at someones home base or a medical reason, but we are going to be big this year. We will have to be at least as organized as last year or more. I was told that the FBO likes us and has a big picture of us in his lobby now from last year.

We are without a doubt the largest CT Fly-In in the world. That said I also want to take this time to thank all of our other flying friends with LSA or GA aircraft that come to be part of our group. They have always been welcome and always will be. This makes this event really a special kind of fun for me and a chance to meet everyone I have talked to over the years. I always enjoy getting together with all my old friends.

p.s.

If you really haven't made any reservations yet you better get on your horse and get it done. I don't know where we will get cut off because there aren't any more rooms available. Remember large tour groups come in and take all the other rooms.

Do it now!

p.s.

I hope they have enough food in page to feed all of us! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just a little info update. I have talked to Page, AZ airport manager and Classic FBO at Page and let them know there will be approximately 40 aircraft descending on them Oct. 14th. We have been welcomed back every year because of our great manners and curtious airport practices. I hope we keep up the good work.

I have also talked to the Monument Vally folks and Ruby's Inn folks in Bryce to let them know we have a group of people 12-15 Friday and Saturday morning for breakfast. Every thing seems to be all set up. I do not know for sure if we have any more rooms. We only had one a couple of days ago. We have 30-40 aircraft scheduled for Page so far.

4th Annual Page, AZ Fly-In

Oct. 14-17 2010

Howdy All,

Bring your cameras!!

Here are the GPS coordinates for our different area flights. These aren't etched in stone and you don't have to fly these if you don't want to, but they will keep you from getting lost and take you right over the major flight paths we will more or less follow. This year we will break up in groups and then each group will take a different flight each morning. This will keep us from having 30-40 aircraft going into the same areas each flight. We will discuss this further at the Thursday evening meal. We have the restaurant all to ourselves again and dinners catered. Breakfast is either the free one at the hotel, out at the local restaurants or during one of your flights at the local airport restaurant as will lunch.

The flights below are round trip in a large circle and they can be shortened by quite a bit if you want to shorten the distance.

General info:

Page, AZ Airport (KPGA) Runway 15-33 Freq. 122.8

FBO: Classic @ 122.85 Kris 928-645-5356

Chat Freq. we can use for our own group and for separation of each flight group while in different areas. These will be assigned each night at dinner for the following day’s group flights.

123.45, 127.47, 127.45, 127.5, ect…

Grand Canyon Flight

Grand Canyon (see Grand Canyon VFR map) KPGA round trip is 193 miles 1.7 hrs.

Route: KPGA south through Marble Canyon (monitor 120.05) climbing to 10.5K to enter Zuni Corridor @ N36 17.38 / W111 51.04 to exit @ N35 58.33 / W111 53.39. Turn west along south canyon rim climbing to 11.5K to Fossil Corridor. Switch and monitor 127.05. Turn north and enter Fossil Corridor at 11.5K @ N36 16.43 / W112 34.97. Exit Fossil Corridor @ N36 22.87 / W112.18.70 switch back to 120.05. Proceed back to KPGA or tour along the Vermillion Cliff area then back to Page.

Note* You aren’t really that high off the rim as it is approximately 7500’ elevation.

Monument Valley Flight

Monument Valley Airport (UT25) Runway 16-34 You only land on 16 and take off on 34 Freq. 122.9 Round trip approx. 185 miles 2 hrs. There is a restaurant and we will have breakfast there on Friday and Saturday flights. A van will be available to take us up the hill or if you prefer a nice morning walk have at it.

KPGA to approx. N37 01.003 / W110 12.020 to Mexican Hat @ N37 09.016 / W109 51.541, then west to Lake Powell @ N37 17.535 / W 110 23.171 then south to KPGA

This will give you only a general route and/or you can and probably will zig zag around Monument Valley to take in all the sites. Flight altitude is up to you so long as you don’t run into a rock wall. (Only once J)

Bryce & Zion National Park Flight

Bryce Airport (BCE) Freq. 122.8 Runway 03-21 272 miles 2.5 hrs.

KPGA to BCE general area around the canyon sites then southwest to Zion Park general area @ N37 14.847 / W113 05.115. You can head back to KPGA at this point or head into St. George Airport (SGU) Runway 16-34 Freq. 122.8 for breakfast then back to KPGA. We are going to have breakfast at Bryce Canyon Ruby’s Inn on Friday and Saturday.

Lake Powell Flight

Follow Lake Powell up the channel northeast bound. The channel will then end and turn to the west a few miles then takes up another large channel and back south into KPGA. You can fly very low or high and it’s up to you. I like low through the channel. There are some altitude, i.e. even and odds, they suggest you fly to stay with the flow with possible other traffic. I will have that info before we get to the Fly-In and have our pilot briefings. “Rainbow Bridge” scenic sight GPS coordinates N37 04.37.39 / W110 57.53.06

The Antelope Canyon ground jeep tour will be available again and the tour of the dam. If you haven’t been then you should go.

Dinner Thursday night at the Ranch House grill at 1700 hrs. We will have a little social hour before the meal. This is only 2 blocks away up the street. Dinner is there all three nights as it is a little hard to find a table for 80 at most restaurants. The restaurant is closed and only open to us. It is all inclusive, drinks, salad, two entree meal plus sides and desert. Seconds are good, too. Bring your own alcohol if you want wine or beer. All other drinks they supply. This is when we will decide on our daily flight's and times out.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a Google Earth "tour" of the trip from up-lake Powell through Monument valley. The tour picks up about 10 minutes flight time from KPGA (Page), just a bit past Rainbow Bridge. You'll need to have Google Earth installed. After downloading the file, just double-click it...

This tour comes into Monument Valley from the North, down past Gouldings (airstrip), through the monuments, and back towards Page.

I'll be posting several tours... samples of the routes we'll be flying this October.

Tim

Powell to Monument Valley.kmz

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have my hotel reserved for Page... BUT NO CT.(won't be ready) . So, I'm looking for a ride (or 2 or 3) to the various flights for this weekend.

Even more,if anybody is going solo, I'm available to share the flight(s) (and expenses)

thanks

Here is an updated list of people that have reservations in Page, AZ. as of 8-25-2010.

( I apologize up front if I have misspelled your name)

Have Reservations:................... No reservations yet:

Doug Boren.............................................................. Mike Koerner

L.E. Harper................................................................ Mel Mohr

Carrie Lidel...............................................................

Jacques Gagne

Joe Tully

Ted Linham x 2

Wayne Ferson

Jim Hamilton

Richard Reynalds

Brett Jingery

Jeremey McGregor

Mack Brame

Bob Derloo

Roger Fane

Tim Greer

Roger Lee

John Horn

John Johnson

Frank Pankow

Philip Welsch

Philip Ross

Al Meyer

John Whiteside

Arnold Bronson

Kurt Kahlmann

Ed DeJong

Tom Covell

Bill Applegate

Brian Carpenter

Russ Roberts

Ed Ricks

Dave Heller

Ernie Patey

Scott Dewald

John Young

John-Olav Johnson

Lillian Duran

Scott Dewald

Kenny Scherado

Scott Anderson

John Sullivan

This is all 40 rooms. We do have one of our group that will not be able to come so there is now one room open. If you are making these reservations late then don't fret yet. Elis at the Best Western said they should be able to get a few more rooms here in the next few weeks. The bus tour operators get cancellations and that will open another few rooms, so just keep calling and you will get a room. So don't put aside those plans as we hope to see everyone there. If they get sold out again then Elis Brown at Best Western said to call back every 4 days or so because they will most likely have a few more rooms open up from one of the bus tour operations. If you need a room and can't get one then call me ASAP and we will get it done.

2010 Page Fly-in... Google Earth Pre-view. Have some fun...

<iframe src="http://www.gearthhacks.com/shareit/iframe.php?map=881" name="Google Earth Hacks Embedded" frameborder="0" height="425" scrolling="no" width="500"></iframe><br /><small>Powered by <a href="http://www.gearthhacks.com/">Google Earth Hacks</a> | <a href="http://www.gearthhacks.com/shareit/share.php?map=881">Map Details</a> | <a href="http://www.gearthhacks.com/shareit/">Create your own!</a></small>

This is for all coming to Page, Az in a few weeks. We will stop in Monument Valley for breakfast. They have cables on the ground to tie to, but no chains or ropes to attach to your wings. I'm not sure how Bryce Canyon airport is set up. I think they do have tiedowns.

If you are going to stop with us in Monument Valley bring 3 pieces of rope to tie yourself down to their cables.

Hi All,

These people are on the CT list at the hotel for the Page, AZ Fly-In, but I have zip except for a name.

I am doing an attendees sheet for the Page Fly-In for name tags and flight ID's and I have most people except these few.

If any ones knows these pilots or owners please have them send me an email with their Name, passenger name, N number, town and state where they live and their cell phone number. This is important.

Of course please check my spelling.

My email is: ssadiver1@yahoo.com

Jim Hamilton

L.E. Harper

Brett Gingery

Carry Lidel

Richard Reynolds

The sooner the better.

Looks like a sell out crowd. Should be fun.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived