Flew from the right seat

Jim Meade

As a glider and tail wheel pilot, I'm used to flying with a stick in my right hand and throttle or dive brakes in my left. As a 1200 hour CFI and First Officer on charter, I'm used to flying from the right seat. I probably have more right seat time than left.

So, today I decided to fly the CTSW from the right seat. Felt OK. I noticed how the panel was canted to the left and seems smaller than the left side panel. The stick felt good in the right hand and the left hand felt good at all it's tasks. If I decide to fly a lot from the right seat I'll have to add an AP disconnect button on the right stick.

As I'm still learning landing on the CTSW, today's 13 knot 60 degree crosswind kept me on my toes. I handled it all right from the right seat.

I bounce back and forth all week between seats, just a little different sight picture. When your in the right you have to make the nose look like it's well left of center on landing, and in the left seat it looks well right of center. No big deal if your use to it in other planes, can be a little strange the first few hours though.

My first flight in the CT I started in the left seat, as we taxied out it didn't feel right. I moved to the right seat before take off. Now I have about 600 hours in the right seat, and less than 10 in the left. I even fly from the left if I'm by myself. Tom

It pays of to be ambidextrous.

Maybe you are happy to always be in the right seat (and be a co pilot forever).

I switch back and forth between right hand flying in gliders and towplane and the CT on the left.

It never hurts to acquire different coordination skills.

Maybe you are happy to always be in the right seat (and be a co pilot forever).

What is the purpose of that slam? I didn't say anything to cause you to assume I'd be a co-pilot forever. I spent a lot of time flying PIC and SIC from both seats with yokes, sticks, side-sticks, wheels throw-over yokes and more. The seat I sat in never determined whether I was PIC or SIC.

I'm so proud of you and happy that you are ambidextrous. Be careful to avoid helicopters, so you don't get confused as to what you are by what seat you sit in.

Afternoon All: I am frequently surprised at the topics that popup in the Forum. I have flown the CT from the right seat and if I have too, Ican. However, because it is my (and what's-er-Face's) airplane, I choose to do it from the left seat. I am not an instructor, but I do let instructors fly from the left seat to get a feel for it. Except for the stick being "correctly" right-handed as in an fighter (F-4 in my case), I still prefer the left side and while I am flexible, I also take the view that flying should be easier as you get farther along the age spectrum; switching seats doesn.t seem to make it easier.

See ya at Page, Ken and Nancy Nolde, N840KN 400 hours

Two weeks after getting my ticket I switched to the right seat. I had to; my daughter is a pilot and soon after my wife started training; so I volunteered. We had a 152 and 172; I could fly both from either side but preferred the right.

When I made the transition to CTsw it was just natural to fly from the right; 90% of my time is on the right . I did however have a problem with the sight picture and consistently landed canted right. I managed to get past it last year however it came back again this year. Recently I did my BFR and check pilot commented on it. Since I’m typically solo I hadn’t recognized it. Now I know what to look for.

If I ever get proficient flying the LPA I may try the left seat. I’m typically solo and there’s no reason not to other than I’m comfortable on the right.

BTW, for those who decided to try it and have the same problem try canting the seat to the right one hole. It worked for me; since making the change I’m straight again. I came up with the idea while adjusting the pilot seat for my check pilot and noticed the pilot seat is canted slightly left (at least on 504CT) but the right seat is straight. Anyone know if this by design?

al meyer

I only have about 65 hours in the rights seat of my CT (530 in the left). But, I find that if I concentrate on keeping the wings perpendicular to the runway using my peripheral vision during the landing, then it is easier to avoid landing cockeyed. WF

Archived