Flying plans for the July 4th weekend?

wlfpckrs

On Monday, I'm going to pull a "Pretty Woman" trick and take my wife to the Outer Banks of NC on a late afternoon flight, early dinner at Colington Cafe (one of our favorite restaurants), and early evening return flight to Raleigh before sunset. Landing at First Flight Airport in Kill Devil Hills, NC is always a special experience, too. The restaurant is within walking distance of the airport.

Wlfpckrs, my friend has been planning on going to Kill Devil Hills for some time and is trying to talk some of us into joining him and taking our planes out there. He's a history buff and has taught aviation at Eastern Michigan University. He has been to First Flight many years ago and is almost obsessed about going back there. From Michigan, it's a long trip and from what I can tell there's a lot of water once you get to the Outer Banks. I imagine, based on the location and the Wright Bros. wanting a location with lots of breeze, that it can be challenging to land there in the summer. Looks like you have been there and might have a lot of good info regarding this area. If we go, I might see if you have any do's and don'ts for this trip. Guess we have found a good place to eat from you already. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Archived