cracking in noseleg fork?

these are pics of the top of the noseleg fork. I am now thinking to ground my plane until sure its only superficial:

https://picasaweb.google.com/jm2833530/20110703CTSWNoselegShowingPaintStressCracking?authkey=Gv1sRgCJCR7vWCq_iE6AE

My link Sorry cannot get pics inserted off this PC.

Anyone have any relevant knowledge of cracking like this?

It's hard to tell from these pictures whether these cracks are just due to some yielding or if there are material cracks.

The only way to really tell is to remove the powder coating ( e.g. by grit blast) and use high magnification and/or dye penetrant to search for cracks.

If none found, providing there's no obvious deformation of the leg it can be repainted and put back into service.

Any cracks would require welding by a FAA/CAA/IAA (US/UK/IRL) approved welder.

above copied from factory advisor, all perfectly reasonable advice.

I think you are ok. I would definately remove the paint and do some NDT (dye pen). I cant see a weld cracking like this. Welds are stronger than the material they hold together. I can't see a crack going through the fork, passing through a weld as well. It's probably just the paint cracking.

The most vulnerable part of a weld to cracking is where the weld fillet meeets the welded steel as this metal has been heated and embrittled. You are not cracking along the weld lines so I strongly suspect just paint peeling.

Hi John,

How have you been? I haven't heard from you for a while.

Paint cracks. I see them all the time on our metal parts. The metal will expand, contract and flew which cracks powder coating and some of the powder coatings don't adhere to well to the metal. I have seen it flake off on several planes. You can prove this to yourself on the paint cracks. Take a sharp edge and put it under the cracked paint and it will chip right up and out. It won't be cracked metal.

Sometimes I land into 270m grass strips less than a wingspan in width, even as little as 10-20 feet, but the runoff either side might be not very rough. Be ready to go around:) I did an extra 9-10 hours with instructors on grass after North Perry's 3000ft by jumbo width:) There are just a few WW2 strips In Northern Ireland. Then there are fairly good 400m RWYs which are pretty easy to get into.

We have two guides for private flying which may give a flavour of the scene here:

http://www.vfrflightguideireland.com/VFR_Flight_Guide_Ireland/Welcome.html

http://www.flightguide.me/

BTW you should be able to drill back up to other scenic albums on my picasa link, some are as good or better for scenery. If they do not work please let me know, and I will post the links.

We party but at my age I pay for it next day; my flying skills go to sh1t. I forgot to check, and had the door blow open at 70 kts over Mizen head. That's why the pics are so clear :rolleyes: What a time to think "are my straps tight?" with the sea 800 feet below and a dizzy view down. Slowed her to 45-50 kts, a bit of right foot and the door came back into my hand. No further drama. Just another reason to celebrate!

Thx.

My reference to "partying of the Irish" was intended as a pun since Irish and partying go hand in hand (at least with the Irish crowd I know here).

On the pictures over the ocean I see a timy litte spec of airplane down lower. Were you flying as a group?

Thx.

My reference to "partying of the Irish" was intended as a pun since Irish and partying go hand in hand (at least with the Irish crowd I know here).

On the pictures over the ocean I see a timy litte spec of airplane down lower. Were you flying as a group?

yep, that was a pipistrel virus. we are thinking of swapping aircraft.

Archived