Replacement Tires

CT4ME

My tip for this is to make up two little tapered wooden chocks and tap them [gently] between the firewall and the stops. Maybe tapping them is too harsh, just push them into place each side to take up the spring pressure evenly.

then remove the control arm screws. when reassembled, you will find the holes line up ok again as the rod points are still in the same place.

• 9 years later...
On 7/3/2010 at 4:10 PM, Roger Lee said:

Hi Wayne,

This has been a problem because the 4.00-4 is such an odd enough tire size that there aren't any good replacements. The 4.00-4 8 plys would have been ideal except they need more pressure than FD's liking to maintain their position on the wheel. I know you already know this and praying there is something else and if you can find it we would all benefit. I have been working on this little project with Desser, maybe another call to ask to bring in a 6 ply might help. I absolutely don't know. I'll try Tuesday after the holidays.

Was doing some research on tires and just found this.  Have been using the Tost Aero 4.00x4 8pr tire from Wings and Wheels for years, and it works very well on the nose.  It does not require extra pressure beyond 29psi, and is not too hard like the 400x4 8pr Aero Classic Tailwheel Tire, providing adequate suspension.  They also last a very long time, saving on tires and labor.

https://wingsandwheels.com/aircraft-parts/tires/400x4-tost-aero-8-pr.html