Great Ad for FD CTLS

wlfpckrs

I love long trips... especially with some wingmen. My longest one-day flights have been from Phoenix, AZ to Burns, OR.(720 miles, mostly 11-12K ft). And two trips from Mulege Mexico (2/3 down baja) to Phoenix (760 miles). Now that the autopilot is working, long trips are more fun.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back to LA from Traverse City Michigan -- more than 1800 nm in three days, with two legs per day. Not hard at all, and I have done this each summer for the past four. Longest leg 4.3 hours and I still had two hours of fuel on landing. No way you could do what the add says, however, unless your lunch was a sandwich consumed in the plane as you flew over Chicago, and you had a freakish tailwind westbound. - WF

On paper, it should be do-able with long days, the time change from east to west, an early breakfast before sunrise, departing at morning civil twilight, and landing by evening civil twilight.

Please share your waypoints between LA and MI. What's the highest terrain you encounter on this route?

Waypoints depend on the weather. I look at the WX each day and head in the general direction with the least cloud cover. This year I stopped in Tonopaph, NV, Twin Falls SD, went through the mountains at Jackson hole and stopped in Rapid City SD. Then on to Madison, WI, Oshkosh and TVC. On the way back it was Rochester MN, Grand Island NE, Rawlins, WY, Provo UT, Cedar City UT and back to LA. The highest point was the mountain crossing near Mammoth, CA, where I used 10,500 given the high terrain. I flew altitudes from 1500' at 500 agl to the max, seeing density altitudes as high as 14,500. Averaged about 24 statute miles per gallon round trip and 106 knots on the hobbs. What a major joy to be able to do stuff like this! WF

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All: As a veteran of XC flying, being able to go really long distances in a day is cool and if it were just me, okay. However, Nancy does not like starting out too early in the day, so we usually do a two flight day on the departure day. Then, through clever planning we manage to one hop it to places where we can sponge off friends or relatives abd while adding some time to the trip, it is nice to see old friends, oh yes--it is at a reasonable cost. Speaking of high terrain between destinations in the west, in particular, I have found that with a bit of planning you go any where and can be comfortable at 10,500' or less. Oh yes, speaking of autopilots, I have aborted a cross country becuse it did not work--I jknow, I'm a woosie, but for a long haul (4 hours or more) I believe the A/P is a safety issue. Anyway the ad is great, but for my favorite stewardess and I the reality is a bit different. See ya, (grand kids are visiting this weekend-it is not ony hot, but tired out), Ken and Nancy Nolde, N840KN

Archived