XM Radio

markmn

Does anyone have XM radio? I have it on my P2008 thru the G3X and love it. Mine is set to cut out whenever there is a transmission on the radio or intercom and then gradually fade back in after a few seconds. Lately whenever I advance the throttle the XM cuts out.

Garmin tech said somehow some noise is getting into the system. We shut off all the accessories one by one while flying and then noticed when we shut the alternator off on the panel the XM would come back on. Bingo. Then I told the tech the Rotax has a standard internal alt and my plane has an aux alt mounted also so which one is the problem? We put a noise filter on the external alt but that had no effect. Is my external alt faulty or? Any Ideas?

Mark

You may need to connect the XM to another circuit. You may also just have to turn up the squelch on the intercom. The mic might be activating by the addition noise or if the window vent is open enough to cause it to activate then that would also shut it down. I always advise people to try the easiest cheapest thing first.

Roger,

Have tried all those things already. Only way XM will work is with the alt turned off on the panel. It is now a matter of which alt is shut down by the alt switch on the panel. I assume it is the aux alternator as I suspect there is no way to shut the internal alt down. I will call tecnam tomorrow and see what they say.

Mark

Archived