Seat Cushion

rookie

In preparation for what I hope will be a trip to Page this fall I’ve been doing longer x-country, usually 6-8 hrs. A walk in the park for some of you but for me 2hrs has always been my endurance level, anything more was a pain in the butt, literally a PAIN in the butt.

I tried different seat configurations, cushions, pads etc. Nothing made a significant difference. Finally I tried a multi-density memory foam cushion from Cumulus Soaring. Had an upholstery guy cut it to fit the LPA & make a cover for it. Unbelievable difference, last week I made a flight to Nebraska (7.8.hrs) and never gave it a thought. Weather is now my limiting factor.

Made such a difference I’m having another one made for the car, which until now I thought was pretty comfortable. Anyone having a similar problem should consider it.

al meyer

post-76-0-19801800-1314582261_thumb.jpg

What thickness is the foam? Any particular brand name?

Thanks.

Fred

Fred,

I purchased it from Culumus Soaring (the gap seal tape people). It's called ConforFoam seat cushion (pink & blue) 2x16x18, price was $55. If you go to the site you can read all about the types foam,options, how they test it, recomendations etc. They have a pre-made cover but since I had to have the foam cut to fit my seat I had a special cover made.

al meyer

There was a discussion on the other forum about this a long while back. I took a pad of some blue, fairly dense memory type fire-resistent foam, about 2-3" thick, and cut out a piece slightly larger than the seat bottom (wish I could remember the exact specification). If you remove the leather seat cover you can stick this on top of what is under there as another layer and put the leather cover for the seat bottom back on. This firms up the seat bottom and made a huge difference for my CT. The advantage is, I don't have that extra cushion to keep track of and everything looks clean. WF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Nice...'might just have to put one together...

I see Costco has a memory foam/gel seat cushion... has anyone tried one of those?

tim

By now if it is the one with the mesh in the middle made by WinPlus in CA.,you have found out the gel pack takes on different shapes. Basically a waste of money.

Archived