FAA Crackdown on LSA Manufacturers

FastEddieB

This was recently posted to the Sport Pilot Talk website:

http://aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=d2e62bbf-2c80-4def-a4c7-4b92d756b7a0

Rather than rehash it here, here's a link to that thread - I don't think you have to be a member to view it:

http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=14681#14681

CT Design is probably less vulnerable than a smaller manufacturer would be, but in today's economic climate, no business is immune from downturns and possible failure.

The possibility of summarily grounding an entire fleet if a manufacturer in the future fails to meet standards, if that's the case here, does not bode well for Light Sport going forward.

Hi Eddie,

I have 3 Storch's just north of me. The inspections will do a couple of things. Yes at first it could hurt a few people in the beginning, but then it will weed out any marginal Mfg. It will also make Mfg's step up to the plate and make sure owners get a better safer product. I think it will make most step up to the plate. There are some LSA Mfg's that have been in compliance from the beginning and they won't have much to worry about. I personally would rather have a plane that I knew met standards then one that didn't, just for the safety aspect. It will make any new Mfg's know right up front they need to make a good product. It is the beginning with this new adjustment in mind set for the Mfg. that may hurt a little.

Eddie,

My understanding is the same as yours. If a manufactuer goes belly-up, then you can convert your plane to ELSA and the owner is now the manufacturer. The DAR confirms that the plane adheres to the then-current manufacturers specs, signs-off and the you're free to modify/ maintain as long as you comply with LSA standards.

In the Storch's case it looks like they could not provide documentation to support that the reassembled planes conformed to the manufacturers specs which meant that any kit-built ELSAs could not be validated, either.

The only complication of S-LSA to E-LSA is that the S-LSA has to have a valid airworthiness cert. If the unthinkable happened and the FAA revoked the S-LSA cert before you could do the conversion you would be seriously screwed

Archived