Making the door open and close smoothly

The door pins are dry and they rub against the plastic which can over time rub the holes a little larger. One way to make that door opening more smooth is to apply some silicone paste. Open the door, place the handle in the open position to expose the door locking pins. Wipe them clean. Apply a small amount of the silicone paste to each pin then a small amount in each pin hole in the door jam. You don't need a lot. The move the door handle to the middle position and apply a little silicone paste to each side of the handle just at the plastic slot it rides in. This will keep the aluminum handle and the plastic door slot from binding.

Be very careful with that silicone grease. If you get it on composite material and have to do a repair someday, the grease will have to be ground out to get the composite repair to bond. It can't ever be 100% cleaned off. Personally, I prefer Mobil1 synthetic grease for non-specified applications around the airplane.

• 7 months later...

Hello Rogers,

it looks great the silicone paste.

can i apply to my flaps connection too since i have some issue when came to flap 30 was taking sometimes, i dont know if this due to some dirty or flaps dynamo.

regards,

Bob CAU

The door pins are dry and they rub against the plastic which can over time rub the holes a little larger. One way to make that door opening more smooth is to apply some silicone paste. Open the door, place the handle in the open position to expose the door locking pins. Wipe them clean. Apply a small amount of the silicone paste to each pin then a small amount in each pin hole in the door jam. You don't need a lot. The move the door handle to the middle position and apply a little silicone paste to each side of the handle just at the plastic slot it rides in. This will keep the aluminum handle and the plastic door slot from binding.

Hi Bobby,

What are your flaps doing?

When I do an inspection I always lube the flap control rods in the baggage compartment. This makes them run smoother and less chance of the metal to metal binding I have heard some make. I use INOX food grade silicone spray for this. You can also use this spray on all the rod ends and bearings in the plane. It has no harmful chemicals to the plane. Read the label it may surprise you guys.

I'll say it again, then I'll drop it. Put silicone on a composite surface and it won't come off. If you ever have to do a repair at that location, the resin will not bond unless the silicone is ground off. Nobody uses silicone compounds on my airplane. LPS2 is a high-quality spray-on lubricant that contains no silicone.

Per Roger Lee's advicer, I picked up some Inox MX3. This is very interesting stuff. Believe it comes from an Australia? It contains no petroleum or silicone and has lanolin instead. It says it's good for -60 F and it can be used on everything from fishing reels used in salt water to electronics. I have been using Lubriplate low temp on my garage door opener to keep it working during freezing weather. I had to re-lube the opener every couple months. I sprayed the Inox MX3 on the door a year ago and it's still working with any re-application. I could not find the MX3 in Michigan but it is sold in Ohio. Believe that most Harley Davidson motorcycle shops sell it in some states too. I'm sold on it.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks Roger,

i missed this replied but yesterday i applied as per your instruction and my flaps are OK now ...

thanks ...

regards,

Bobby CAU

Hi Bobby,

What are your flaps doing?

When I do an inspection I always lube the flap control rods in the baggage compartment. This makes them run smoother and less chance of the metal to metal binding I have heard some make. I use INOX food grade silicone spray for this. You can also use this spray on all the rod ends and bearings in the plane. It has no harmful chemicals to the plane. Read the label it may surprise you guys.

Archived