Iowa to Tampa, FL Thursday

Jim Meade

I intend to fly from KIOW to the Tampa area on Thursday. The weather promises to be fine. I plan on leaving at the crack of dawn and making one fuel stop. With the jigs and jags, it will be about 1000 nm or maybe 1050 at the most. It will be about an 8-9 hour flight, depending on the winds.

1. Does anyone know of a convenient and fast place to get 91 octane mogas about half way down? If necessary, I could stop twice, but am pretty confident I can make it comfortably with one stop.

2. My ultimate destination is Oldsmar, on the north end of Tampa Bay. Any thoughts on Clearwater or the other airports nearby? I do not want to go into the bigger airports on the south side of the bay. Is there a good, quick fuel stop in northern Florida if I need it?

3. I've never flown the ADIZ. My initial thought was to stay inland and avoid it, but a direct flight would put me over the Gulf for a while. Anything special about the ADIZ I need to know, other than what is published and available online? Would you use it to save a little time and distance and fuel, or simply stay inland and avoid the question?

I will be leaving the plane overnight for two nights, returning Saturday and flying back in one day if the weather permits.

Jim, I've been in the Oldsmar area and the Safety Harbor area many times over the years. My Father-in-law lives in Clearwater and was the FAA airport electronics and systems maintenance chief at KTPA for many years. Setting the major airports aside (KTPA and KPIE) the only small airport that's close to Oldsmar is the Clearwater (CLW) airport. It is a nice small airport and never appears to be very busy when I've been there.

Kyle-Oakley, KY (KCEY) has mogas, I believe. That is just west of a line between KIOW and KTPA.

Perry (40J) or Cross City (KCTY) are pretty quiet in North Florida and easy stops. Cross City always had cheap gas when I

was using (100LL).

I have never just crossed the ADIZ without landing in another country, so I can't help you there. Airman's Information Manual (AIM) maybe?

Weedon field(KEUF)near Eufala, AL has a good restaurant nearby.

I was based out of KCLW for a little over a year. Like earlier comments, it is a great little airport. But don't expect to find any mogas nearby. The closest I was able to find when I had my CTLS was to fly to Sebring (KSEF) about an hour away. Instead, I used 100LL (KZPH has the cheapest around) and then added TCP.

I never flew across ADIZ, but instead hugged the coast. I was flying to Baton Rouge on a regular basis and followed the panhandle all the way around.

Have fun on your trip!

The pirep is that on the way down I stopped at Mt. Vernon, IL and LaGrange, GA. I fought a small head wind all the way and ground speed was about 105-107 knots. My best altitude was about 3500, except for the mountains in northern Georgia. On the way back, I stopped at Pine Mountain, GA and Macomb, IL. 6500 was good into Tennessee, then 8500 was better. Ground speeds of 135 - 140 knots. There was not much logic in these stops. They kind of "happened" in response to various exigencies.

CLW was a nice little airport. Easy to get into.

Archived