IFLY 700 7" GPS OVER SECTIONALS

TAYLOR ALLEGRO

'sweet lookin' thing, especially with that 7" screen. The price is right and it would be be nice to not buy charts, but I wan't something with battery power...

Tim

I'm really torn over the iFly. It looks great, has rave reviews from anyone who has demo'ed or flown with them and is made by a small company in my little Dallas suburb. The creator flys out of my home base, TKI. I want to get a unit that kills two birds with one stone: replace paper charts and provide backup GPS. I also would like to support my local business but.....

What happens to my investment if iPad fever bowls over the little guy? I know to get the equivalent iPad configuration you'd need to plunk down $800 then purchase Foreflight HD, Sky Charts or whatever but you'll always have choices for charts if one of the software vendors goes belly up. Apple just might survive a year or two as well :rolleyes:

There are also some tablet's running Android that should hit the market this year with several vendors lining up to support it.

Are we spending $500 on an eventual orphan? Hmm...

That being said -- how do you find the screen display in bright light?

Also, I believe they sell a battery pack for the iFly for those who don't have power handy.

HI... You are correct on the battery power backup.. Several options there... The screen is as good or better than my 396 and Dynon... Of course direct sunlight makes it a little harder to read.. Some have used a shade screen made for the 7" Dynon to help..Apple might well outlive Adventure pilot... Or they may both outlive me... For now I am enjoying the use of my Ifly 700 every week...

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

What prompted me to by this was my CFI always asking ,,,Where are we on the sectional, during cross country flights... I was about to buy a subscription to paper chart book when I came across the IFLY 700.. 69.00 per year for updates was cheaper than the paper charts... Now my answer is right where that little green airplane is.. and then match that to where I should be and what I see on the ground.. Updates for the 396 are way expensive.. I do update terrain and obstacles as the IFLY does not warn you of these.. I still use XM weather on the 396 BUT IFLY may have that soon as well.. I could go on and on... I had one of the first of these out. Have had several personal emails to Walter Boyd, the developer.. Try that with Garmin of anybody else.. The current updates are way cooler that the video.. Darker route line, colored boxes of larger size for instruments.. Just buy one, you will be happy..

Brian

• 1 month later...

I have been using the iFly 700 for about 5 months. Best purchase I ever made. I was also concerned about a new company. I spoke with the owner/developer and he assured me there is no risk. It can be converted to open-source, but the subscription part is very simple and said they would continue to service update. Very sharp guy, I honestly believe he knows what he is on to.

They now offer a battery pack for like $70. I also know they are adding weather and traffic support in the near future. He is hoping ADS-B as it has no subscription fees like XM. He also told me that without any hardware buttons, they can upgrade and and new features at no cost to us, unless there is a hardware option, example battery pack, weather receiver.

I wanted a iPad and apps as well, but in researching, the iPad is a-GPS which is assisted GPS, if you loose your lock in air, you may not re acquire a position lock until you get low enough to cell tower, not very convenient if on a higher cross county. The iFly has a full GPS receiver and I have is mounted on my panel in a 172, never lost a signal. In fact, most of the time I can get a lock in my house when close to a window, an AV8OR I have won't even do that.

You won't be disappointed, you'll save this much in paper maps. Below is a review i found on it, its very good.

Review - http://www.examiner.com/aviation-and-aerospace-in-national/flight-gps-ifly-700-named-best-of-the-best-the-affordable-pilot-gadget-category

First, the iFly 700 is a great device and would be my first choice for a backup/portable aviation-only moving map solution.

Second, A-GPS does not REQUIRE cell/wifi to get a fix on the satellites. It will use these to speed up the search, if available. If not available, it works like any other GPS in that it searches the sky based on time, last position, etc.

In my case, I wanted a single device for flight planning, enroute GPS backup, current charts, eReader (Kindle application allows me to share books with my wife and daughter), and a 'lite' laptop (eMail, editing/reviewing/creating documents, web browsing) for travel (I'm one of the lucky ones who usually has to work when on vacation :)). The iPad + Foreflight HD works exceptionally well for this mission.

Unfortunately, for the iFly the price difference isn't that much. The 16G iPad 3G is only $629 including a battery that lasts for ~10 hrs (CONUS download is around 5G). The iFly, with battery runs $570. Annual charts for the Foreflight run $75/year vs. $69. The iPad also has ~10" screen which helps my older eyes....

• 1 month later...

My iFly700 arrived today and got its first flight. I don't know where I will eventually put it but today I used the suction cup mount and mounted it to the side window with the cup just below and towards the back of the slider. It was stable in that spot and easy to view and use. Today was a bright sunny day and I had no trouble seeing it even that close to the window.

It's a great little device and will be even better once they get the approach plates and airport diagrams georeferenced. WX may also come one day but right now I have that on my 396.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased an Ipad Saturday and flew with it on Sunday. I was a passagner in a Cessna 414 and sat in behind the co-pilot. Reception with the ipad on my knee was exceptional and geo-referenced on the VFR Sectional. Wednesday I'm flying to Tucson in the CT and will test it on a nice cross country. My only complaint is that it does not show remaining distance to destination or remaining time but hopefully this will be forthcoming. It is an incredible tool.

I have both WingX and Foreflight installed. I like the flight planning and terrain display of WingX but the sectional views in Foreflight. I haven't decided which I will continue with if not both.

Update on ipad. Flew to Tucson from Albuquerque yesterday. GPS reception was flawless and the moving map sectional is outstanding. Altitude to Tucson @10,500. Returned via South West and lost satelite reception at 35,000'. Not a problem in the CT.

• 8 months later...

I got an ifly 700 earlier this week. It is really nice. If you mount it high so it looks down on you it can easily be read in bright sunlight. It shows sectional information the 496 doesn't. The two together are great. Needless to say, keeping the 496 up to date is quite expensive. I usually update the obstruction and Jeppsen just before Airventure, but those two downloads (good for a month) is $98.

On the down side, the suction cup is so strong that it warps the CT windshield. You can see the dimple in the reflection.

From their forum, it appears the geo-referenced approach plates are a month or two away. Supposedly there is now a WX and ADS receiver that will work with it also (in Beta).

I wonder if a niche market for the iFly might not be in the 396/496/696 quasi-panel mount sector. Allow for vertical mounting in an Air Gizmo with XM weather and you have a nice upgrade at 40% of a 696 not to mention the ongoing updates.

• 4 months later...
1313265056[/url]' post='5847']

I wonder if a niche market for the iFly might not be in the 396/496/696 quasi-panel mount sector. Allow for vertical mounting in an Air Gizmo with XM weather and you have a nice upgrade at 40% of a 696 not to mention the ongoing updates.

FYI.

They are coming out with an iFly 720 with a brighter display, faster processor and WiFi with an AirGizmo mount following soon thereafter. They already do ADS-B through a wired connection with SkyRadar. The 720 will allow this to be via WiFi. ADS-B pretty much covers east of the Mississippi, southwest and west coast. Those of us in the south central and middle of the country will be phased in over the next 12-24 months.

I like the WIFi option since I could mount the SkyRadar on my rear deck and feed multiple devices.

Cost of the 720 plus Skyradar looks to be around $1500. Used market for 496 is around $750. For those with XM weather, this could be an upgrade that could pay for itself is 1-2 years (not including the chart update savings vs Garmin and installation).

Seriously leaning this way once i get coverage in my area and I can figure out how to layout my panel to accommodate without major surgery.

Sadly, we may have to get used to the idea of buying a new computer, new cell phones and so forth every few years. If that is the case, then while there can be a cost to switching, it's not necessarily the end of the world if one finds that after two years it's better to try something else. I'm not saying this strategy has no cost or pain, but it gets one out of the mindset that one must make a perfect decision and predict to future and replaces it with an approach where you buy something that is of good value now and expect to have to replace it with something of good value at a finite future time.

Your instructor wanting to you to know where you are on the map has to do with various kinds of pilotage. It is not unheard of to lose GPS signals. It's pretty good to be able to find ones self on a static graphic (paper or electronic) if the little blue dot or airplane signal isn't blinking. It involves map reading, terrain and feature recognition, resection and other skills that are best honed if they're used once in a while.

I have an iPad and am thinking of going to a Windows or Android system. I am not sweating it, just watching and waiting for the next best thing to come along.

• 1 month later...

I got a 720 a few weeks back. The visibility is much improved. The wireless is very convenient. I'm a beta tester, so I get to try out some of the new features. Last week I shot some RNAV approaches at a nearby untowered airport. Very cool.

A couple of the beta testers have NMEA output running their TruTrak autopilots. A few more have ADS-B working. To tell you the truth, I hardly ever look at my 496 anymore except to tell the AP where to go.

• 3 years later...

I'm considering buying the iFly 740 and SkyGuard "EX" package.  There is a $100 holiday reduction on the package.  About $2600 for the 740 GPS and SkyGuard "EX" ADS-B in/out with AHRS which includes shipping.  Talked to Don @ SkyGuard.  He includes document with the "EX" version which states it "Meets Performance Requirements of TSO-C154c for 1/1/2020 mandate when installed in Experimental and LSA".

I would appreciate any comments from current iFly users.

iPads lack non-reflective screens.  Don't know why so many want to use them in the cockpit.  And you can't legally use a tablet with GPS to navigate, shoot approaches or do anything other than look at sectional and plates (things that are already done on the MFD).

We are going all Garmin and Samsung.  Garmin just came out with a wireless gateway called Flightstream 110/210.  We just got a Samsung Galaxy S2 10inch with non-reflective glass, and Garmin Pilot.  This setup alleviates the need for either a wireless hotspot, a tablet GPS antennae, LTE4g or any other subscription for the tablet other than Garmin Pilot.  Flightplans can be uploaded via bluetooth to the panel, and the moving map, GPS track, weather and ADC data are all downloaded to the Samsung from the panel.

Basically, the tablets becomes both EFB and an another MFD panel with flight planning/tacking and traffic, weather and terrain.

I have discussed with Arian at FD USA.  He looked at the iFly and SkyGuard and said iFly 740 is the same size as the Garmin 796 and takes basically the same Air Gizmo panel dock as the 796.  Arian said to send him a MRA and said there should be no problem getting approval from him.  Shane at Adventure Pilot said the iFly 740 is an easy install and plenty of good support from his company and from Sky Guard company.  I'll use my Galaxy note 8.0 and the iFly 740 with wireless when flying.   

Update:  Just ordered the iFly 740 with SkyGuard TWX "EX".  Only wire connections needed are the power lines to the GPS and the ADS-B transceiver.  Also antenna coax to/from transceiver.  The SkyGuard captures transponder pressure altitude and squawk wirelessly and re-transmits.  SkyGuard communicates with the iFly GPS and two other devices (iPad or Android) wirelessly.  These guys have done a nice job designing this.  Split screen and synthetic vision coming as software upgrade soon.

iPads lack non-reflective screens.  Don't know why so many want to use them in the cockpit.  And you can't legally use a tablet with GPS to navigate, shoot approaches or do anything other than look at sectional and plates (things that are already done on the MFD).

Which FAR says you cannot navigate by iPad?  You can't shoot approaches with any portable device.  But there is no prohibition I know of on using a tablet to navigate.  You have to have charts, and those can be in the form of charts on an EFB.  So even if you just use the charts, you are navigating by electronic device.  There is nothing that says those charts may not also be geo-referenced and coupled to some form of GPS.

I don't believe the FAA sees any difference between a 796 and an iPad.  Both are non-certified portable devices and can be used for navigation for VFR flying.  

If I'm wrong on this, I'd like to see a FAR citation.

Which FAR says you cannot navigate by iPad?  You can't shoot approaches with any portable device.  But there is no prohibition I know of on using a tablet to navigate.  You have to have charts, and those can be in the form of charts on an EFB.  So even if you just use the charts, you are navigating by electronic device.  There is nothing that says those charts may not also be geo-referenced and coupled to some form of GPS.

I don't believe the FAA sees any difference between a 796 and an iPad.  Both are non-certified portable devices and can be used for navigation for VFR flying.  

If I'm wrong on this, I'd like to see a FAR citation.

You cannot use a tablet to navigate via IFR to clarify.  You can shoot a non-precision non-WAAS GPS approach with a tablet if it's equipped with GPS, but not under IFR (doing so under VFR is okay but why?  just land). 

The FAA does not see a difference between the 796 and a tablet.  But it DOES see a difference between a tablet and the GTN750 or other TSO'd and permanently mounted GPS/WAAS.

The G3x non certified is also going to be allowed under Part 23 rewrite (GPS WAAS is built-in to the G3x).  But you must have duals, two GPS/WAAS to make LPV approaches.

Archived