Dynon inaccuracies

Al Downs

So far I am really disappointed with the Dynon equipment. Compass reading are as much a 30 degrees off and the indicated winds aloft show at 2500 ft shows in the high 40's on calm days. Heading in one direction I may see winds coming from my left, turn 180 and they are still coming from my left.

I want to recalibrate the compass readings but can't find and airport with a compass rose. Anybody no where there is one close to Racine Wisconsin.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Outside air temp can effect the wind calculation as the temp is needed for the Dynon to determine accurate true airspeed. That is compared to ground speed along with ground track and heading to determine the wind direction and velocity.

Are the Dynon units junk? They seem so inaccurate. Can they be recalculated and maintain more accurate readings?

Winds aloft are as high as 50 and seem to be from the wrong direction.

Hi Al,

I have been flying behind Dynons for the last 2 years and 1100hrs and find they are very reliable and accurate. There are several things that effect the wind calculations. The heading calibration has a huge impact even if it's off a few degrees. Flying uncoordinated also effects the wind calculation by changing the heading vs ground track received from the gps. I would start by going thru the heading calibration on the Dynon using your aircraft compass. After that fly straight and level for a few minutes and check the wind calculations. If it's still way out of whack record the parameters used to make the calculations and maybe we can determine where the issue is. Record the gps ground track, ground speed, Dynon heading, compass heading, indicated airspeed, true airspeed from the Dynon, and the outside air temperature.

Hi Al,

I have been flying behind Dynons for the last 2 years and 1100hrs and find they are very reliable and accurate. There are several things that effect the wind calculations. The heading calibration has a huge impact even if it's off a few degrees. Flying uncoordinated also effects the wind calculation by changing the heading vs ground track received from the gps. I would start by going thru the heading calibration on the Dynon using your aircraft compass. After that fly straight and level for a few minutes and check the wind calculations. If it's still way out of whack record the parameters used to make the calculations and maybe we can determine where the issue is. Record the gps ground track, ground speed, Dynon heading, compass heading, indicated airspeed, true airspeed from the Dynon, and the outside air temperature.

Thanks

I will try calibrating. I just became aware of a compass rose nearby and can use that. I will have to go one step at a time as I am new to all of this.

• 2 weeks later...

We will do our best to help you out!

I recalibrated the compass heading and on the ground it seems much better. Too windy Saturday and Sunday to fly and will check it next time I go up. What do I do with the OAT. Just check it against a thermometer? Anything else you can suggest at this time?

Thanks

Al

xx.gif

Reply #5 - Yesterday at 1:50pm

Dynon_Support.png

Dynon Support Online

Forum Administrator

Dynon Employee

Dynon Technical Support

stargmod.gifstargmod.gifstargmod.gifstargmod.gifstargmod.gif

So winds are the difference between the ground track / speed as reported by the GPS, and the true airspeed and magnetic heading, which is determined by the Dynon.

Usually, it's the magnetic heading that's not well-calibrated that causes big wind errors.

GPS is almost never wrong, but, if we weren't getting an accurate GPS speed or track from a device (usually a communication problem, not an actual device problem), that could theoretically cause issues, though I don't know that I've ever heard of that happening. My money's on the heading though.

Archived