New F2 has arrived

CTB

50 minutes ago, 207WF said:

please give us some real world performance numbers when you can!

Still didn't fly too much since because of weather last two weeks, but my impression from the my flights so far is very good.

With only myself (200lbs) and 25 gallons ( 150lbs) at the MSL ( Florida coast) it climbs 1400 ft/min. at around 65 kts. I think it is impressive. 

With two guys and less fuel it still climbed 1000ft/min after very short roll. 

I see 119kts IAS without any lip-biting effort. So far so good. Waiting for less windy conditions to work on my greasers. Then I can report more accurate performance numbers. 

36 minutes ago, Bill3558 said:

I would love to know the decibel level in cruise. My CTLSi is right at 100db. Pretty loud. 
I suspect that the F2 is quieter with that engine further forward. 

I don't know how loud is CTLSi, but this thing is loud as hell in comparison to bigger airplanes. At least, that's my impression. And right around 4000 RPMs when I slow down in the pattern it looks like the harmonic frequencies kick in and make it louder. It doesn't shake, it is just different feeling from bigger planes. I use noise canceling BOSE and it helps of course. I have optional LEMO plugs, which is nice and convenient. No worry about the batteries. 

I have my dB / sound level meter somewhere and I will try to remember to take it with me up next time. 

I did a year of experimenting wth different exhaust system designs on the CT, even a swedish muffler with no reduction in db. I even heavily insulated the cockpit floor, firewall and upper cowl to no avail. I believe most of the noise is coming from the engine and not the exhaust. I experimented with tuned exhaust but there was not enough pipe length capability under the cowl and didn't want long pipes outside the cowl. I'm sure a much thicker windshield would help which made a huge difference on a Bonanza. At this point more changes are counterproductive so ANR headsets are the solution. I tried.

Luxury cars do more than try to line one or two surfaces, they line the entire cabin with noise reduction materials.

You are right that the windows are likely a large source of the noise.

Even if you put a thicker windshield on, it's rigidly attached to the frame. Vibration will travel throughout. If you want to try a very expensive method, try something that uses constrained layer damping.

3M's EDM1016, or 3M's vibration dampening tape 434, 435, or 436.

You will hate the price.

On 12/18/2023 at 4:23 PM, CTB said:

Still didn't fly too much since because of weather last two weeks, but my impression from the my flights so far is very good.

With only myself (200lbs) and 25 gallons ( 150lbs) at the MSL ( Florida coast) it climbs 1400 ft/min. at around 65 kts. I think it is impressive. 

With two guys and less fuel it still climbed 1000ft/min after very short roll. 

I see 119kts IAS without any lip-biting effort. So far so good. Waiting for less windy conditions to work on my greasers. Then I can report more accurate performance numbers. 

Wonderful, those are great numbers!  It will be interesting to see how the climb looks in the dead of Florida summer.  I suspect similar to a CT, around 900fpm.  119KIAS is a really good number.  What rpm was that?  It really sounds like you have a great performer there!

I wonder how the wing profile/size/geometry has changed over the older FD airframes.

On 12/18/2023 at 7:22 PM, CTB said:

I don't know how loud is CTLSi, but this thing is loud as hell in comparison to bigger airplanes. At least, that's my impression. And right around 4000 RPMs when I slow down in the pattern it looks like the harmonic frequencies kick in and make it louder. It doesn't shake, it is just different feeling from bigger planes. I use noise canceling BOSE and it helps of course. I have optional LEMO plugs, which is nice and convenient. No worry about the batteries. 

I have my dB / sound level meter somewhere and I will try to remember to take it with me up next time. 

That tracks, the 4000rpm increased noise is from the Rotax engine I suspect and similar to my CTSW.  I get increased noise around 4000-4200rpm, then it quiets and smooths out until about 5100rpm, and then the noise ramps back up steadily up to 5500+rpm where noise is maximum.  I suspect the composite stiffness doesn't do us any favors in sound either.  Even with a good noise cancelling headset, the constant noise will tire you over a long trip.

On 12/18/2023 at 7:39 PM, Madhatter said:

I did a year of experimenting wth different exhaust system designs on the CT, even a swedish muffler with no reduction in db. I even heavily insulated the cockpit floor, firewall and upper cowl to no avail. I believe most of the noise is coming from the engine and not the exhaust. I experimented with tuned exhaust but there was not enough pipe length capability under the cowl and didn't want long pipes outside the cowl. I'm sure a much thicker windshield would help which made a huge difference on a Bonanza. At this point more changes are counterproductive so ANR headsets are the solution. I tried.

What ever happened with your exhaust project?  Did it make it to market or whither out?  I was very interested, it looked beautiful and the factory CT exhaust is pretty awful.

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Wonderful, those are great numbers!  It will be interesting to see how the climb looks in the dead of Florida summer.  I suspect similar to a CT, around 900fpm.  119KIAS is a really good number.  What rpm was that?  It really sounds like you have a great performer there!

I wonder how the wing profile/size/geometry has changed over the older FD airframes.

So, this morning was super cold in Naples. 55 degrees. Brrr. I did some early morning takeoffs and landings. One person, 15 gals and I saw 1700+ ft/min at 65 kts. This thing goes to pattern altitude in no time. I am really impressed. Yes, let's see how it does in 93 degree weather. I have no doubt it will be good enough with heavier load in warm weather. 

For the cruise I think it is like 5200 RPM at 120kts. I didn't focus on that yet. Mostly pattern work, landings and autopilot verification.

I also verify my transponder reported altitude with the tower, as Flightaware log says 2200' when I was flying 2500'. The tower had me in 2500'. All good. 

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

That tracks, the 4000rpm increased noise is from the Rotax engine I suspect and similar to my CTSW.  I get increased noise around 4000-4200rpm, then it quiets and smooths out until about 5100rpm, and then the noise ramps back up steadily up to 5500+rpm where noise is maximum.  I suspect the composite stiffness doesn't do us any favors in sound either.  Even with a good noise cancelling headset, the constant noise will tire you over a long trip.

Yes, very similar.  

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Eddie Cesnalis said:

I'm down to 151lbs and my girlfriend is 107.  We could do full fuel but nothing left fro baggage.

Full fuel is 6.5 hours leg. You don't want to do that in LSA. 

• 4 weeks later...