New 912 spark plugs and caps

3 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

3.1 of the Service Instruction SI-912-027.  

"NOTE: Spark plugs are already gapped upon delivery. No adjustment of the gap is necessary nor allowed"

Or maybe someone has newer unpublished information?

Well at least there's that!

10 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

The new Rotax plugs are already gapped out of the box. NGK'S need to be gapped.

Are they pre-gapped from Bosch so that if you got them from a non-Rotax source they'd still come gapped?  Or can you only get them from Rotax?

You can use NGK's in the new boots. They are the same 5K ohm resistance. Thats why the boots are interchangeable. It's  just the outside rubber part that was changed. The new rubber outside are less vulnerable to damage, oil and fuel.

Well, Roger, you didn't really answer Tom's question.  Tom asked if the combination was legal.  You replied that it would physically work.  That kind of answer might be useful for those with an ELSA but it does not answer if the plane in question is SLSA.  Because you post about your extensive experience, you give the impression that you are an authority.  Some might erroneously think that because you said something would work that that also means it's legal.  It's a benefit for your newer or less experienced readers if you help them understand when your post is about something you may be comfortable with or when it is something that is legal.  I'd imagine when you teach your face-to-face classes you make sure your students know when your comments are for background and when they are legal.

We're still stuck with the published SI quoted above.  We haven't seen anything the exempts the SLSA from following it unless the airplane manufacturer overrules the Rotax manuals. 

I don’t control what Rotax says and at times and the three Rotax service centers don’t always agree between themselves. I don’t control what people want to do to their planes, but After spending 30 years of going to criminal and civil court I do what is defendable in court and I can use what high up Rotax people say in that defense. I try and keep a handle on things by talking to these people, being a Rotax tech on 8 forums and write articles for Rotax Owner at times.

We're still stuck with the published SI quoted above.  We haven't seen anything the exempts the SLSA from following it unless the airplane manufacturer overrules the Rotax manuals. 

You’ll find Rotax mis-prints things and doesn’t make corrections until the next publication. Plus aircraft Mfg’s and at times Rotax don’t make the rules. The FAA does and the Mfg’s must stay within those boundaries. 
Go to more classes and there you will get more timely updated info. Even this spark plug cap thing was already discussed on Rotax Owner.

I don’t make stuff up I just repeat it.

Picture is not new rotax plug it's just a plug I found that cost 10 dollars not 50 some like the

new rotax plug cost, new plug is two tips  not 4 I think. So Bosch sells 4 tip plug for 10$ and rotax

sells 2 tip plug for 50  ???

28 minutes ago, procharger said:

Picture is not new rotax plug it's just a plug I found that cost 10 dollars not 50 some like the

new rotax plug cost, new plug is two tips  not 4 I think. So Bosch sells 4 tip plug for 10$ and rotax

sells 2 tip plug for 50  ???

The extra $40 is to print "Rotax" on them.   😉

11 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Even this spark plug cap thing was already discussed on Rotax Owner.

A discussion on the internet may not be much of a defense in civil and criminal court.  Not when there is a written document published by the manufacturer with the manufacturer's guidance.  

On 6/30/2024 at 8:20 AM, Roger Lee said:

It’s legal because Rotax says it is and in classes too. They told me and I’m just passing that on.

Roger, show me in writing where Rotax says it is legal.   Post a recording of some Rotax authorized official or instructor saying it's legal.  You've got to quite giving the forum readership the impression that what you say overrides what Rotax prints.  You'll get them in trouble if they follow your comments.

I'll be at Oshkosh this summer.  I'll run down every Rotax official I can find and ask them if anything supersedes Rotax published instructions.

18 hours ago, Ken said:

If you have an ELSA what difference does it make?

My view on ELSA is two fold, 1) free's you from having to pay and deal with MRA's (but all my changes are items the factory "would" approve of, cam latch seat belts, avionics, e-prop, etc.) 2) allow owners with LSRI to perform inspection / maintenance (again, by following all manuals and procedures.

Sure, one can go way off the reservation with the ELSA liberties, but why.  In this instance, I'd buy the equivalent original style boots aftermarket or otherwise.  I like the original NGK plugs, and for a couple bucks a piece simply replace them each year.  No need to upgrade to the 90 degree style on my '06 SW