flight testing (numbers please)

Starting a new thread, I was putting some CTLS numbers in a random CTSW thread.

Anyhow, went out and did some flight testing today, comparing flap settings. These are from 10k feet to 2-3000 feet, which takes about 12 minutes, flying to a specific IAS (with autopilot). I changed a setting roughly halfway. At first glance it seems like reflex works better at a slightly lower airspeed, but I think what it's showing is low elevation has a better ratio, which makes me think I want to try flying by TAS.

Rather than simply measuring top of descent to bottom of descent, I'm using every second of the data, which lets me check the variance.

Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 7.53.44 PM.png

If you are flying at less than gross weight the speed will typically be lower. You stay in the air longer at the lower speed, but the extra time in the air at the lower speed allows you to arrive at the same spot as the heavier airplane at the higher speed.

There are standard ways to take data for flight testing. I am not sure what they are, exactly. I vaguely recall that once you plot some of the data, you can obtain various speeds for your airplane through manipulations of the curves.  Charlie Precourt used to offer information about flight testing procedures in his columns. I would search for those.

20 minutes ago, GlennM said:

Is there a typo in the second speed section at 67kts?  Are the 0 and -6 transposed?

The numbers aren't transposed- I started the glide test at 0 up high and -6 down low, opposite of the first and third tests. I wanted to ensure I controlled for that case- and I'm glad I did, it suggests -6 isn't actually better.

Up next: testing e-prop takeoff techniques (eg stalling the blades, full power with brakes, etc).

Here are glide test numbers, alternating every 1000ft, so I can tease out the altitude differences. I also tried a different airspeed just in case I was "too slow" for -6 to benefit.

On the first run I started -6° and then went to 0. I reversed that on the second run, starting with 0. Back to starting with -6 on that third run.

So: -6 gives a longer glide with my configuration.

Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 3.18.45 PM.png

should I climb at -6° or 0°? at 78kts and 100% throttle or 97% throttle (912iS, so that's full power or eco-mode/closed loop), -6 is better.

I'm deliberately normalizing the climb rather than show actual fpm values, there's no need to distract by thinking about specific climb rates.image.thumb.png.307360e2dd3f4a53e0ae27fdc3b69459.png