Rudder in cruise

7 minutes ago, Skunkworks85 said:

You could get an experimental exhibition certificate and fly it. It would be a bit of paperwork, but doable, However, this would require a PPL or higher certificate. 

It would be allowed as ELSA as a PPL, right? It's just that we can't stay SLSA even if FDUSA allowed it.

1 hour ago, shiny.ice said:

It would be allowed as ELSA as a PPL, right? It's just that we can't stay SLSA even if FDUSA allowed it.

No, The definition of a LSA regardless of its airworthiness certificate states that the propeller must be fixed pitch or ground adjustable for a LSA airplane.

2 hours ago, Skunkworks85 said:

You could get an experimental exhibition certificate and fly it. It would be a bit of paperwork, but doable, However, this would require a PPL or higher certificate. 

There is always seems to be an exception. Experimental exhibition can be kind of restrictive.

Hey thanks for the insight, I think I will try removing the front wheel pant. I'm wondering if the -12 flap helps the speed? The air speed is accurate as it sort of stalls at 39kt gps ground speed and air speed match as well as my phone.

Prop has 5 notches, I use the 1st notch for t/o and 4th notch for cruise, at 28 in manifold pressure. I will try next flight to set trims, pitch,ailerons, then rudder.

Thanks all.  

Rich,

Regarding your original question:

For many years I hardly needed any right rudder during climbs but had to hold left rudder in cruise, which is uncomfortable. And it's difficult to maintain the appropriate pressure without constant monitoring.

I jammed a stick between my seat and the pedal on one flight, which sort of worked, but it was a hassle when I wanted to turn. Unlike the CTSWs, my CT2k doesn’t have rudder or aileron trim... so those simple adjustments are not an option.

Finally, I complained to Roger who suggested I adjust the rudder cables. There are safety-wired turnbuckles on each of the cables in the tunnel under the panel. I can't remember if I loosened the right and tightened the left or just tightened the left, but whatever I did worked perfectly. Now I cruise with my legs folded in front of the pedals and I'm happy as a claim.

8 hours ago, Rich Read said:

Hey thanks for the insight, I think I will try removing the front wheel pant. I'm wondering if the -12 flap helps the speed? The air speed is accurate as it sort of stalls at 39kt gps ground speed and air speed match as well as my phone.

Prop has 5 notches, I use the 1st notch for t/o and 4th notch for cruise, at 28 in manifold pressure. I will try next flight to set trims, pitch,ailerons, then rudder.

Thanks all.  

From what I understand the reflex flaps setting is there to really reduce loading on the trailing edge of the wing, but does have a speed benefit.  Those who have tested have said that the difference between -6° and -12° is minimal, maybe a knot or two.  It's possible with an in-flight adjustable prop the different between the two reflex settings has more of an effect.  We'd need to have more test airplanes to know for sure.

Is there a setting on your prop that would simulate a fixed pitch prop with decent settings?  It would be fun to fly an entire flight at such a setting and compare speed, climb, etc. numbers in that config vs. using the prop settings as designed.

Thanks all.  

I will have to c/k and or adjusted the rudder cables, that makes sense that changing the cable adjustments would change the nose gear to rudder angle, as if you were using the nose gear As trim.

I can run the prop in the 2nd notch which will give me a sluggish t/o and about 115kt cruise.

I can't get above that speed with 0 flap setting. -12 gives me 122kt cruise, prop in 3rd notch.

1= fine

5= full corse