Nose wheel not straight

2006 CTSW. Nose wheel is slightly turned left(from pilots seat). Should the left steering rod be lengthened and the right shortened? Or just right side shortened? Also, I think the locknut inside cabin maybe loose. What is the easiest way to get to it and tighten?

It usually doesn’t take much.  Adjust whichever side has more available threads.  Turn a half turn at a time, so basically flip to the other side of the rod end.  Check taxi and then adjust again if necessary.  Keep alternating which side you adjust if their threads get equal.  Make sure you snug up the lock nuts each time.

I’ve never seen this take more than a full turn to correct.

Don’t adjust it just to do it. Taxi it first on a FLAT surface and take your feet off the peddles. See if it drifts left or right. If it taxis straight leave it alone. If by chance it pulls left then you can either lengthen the left side steering head rod end or shorten the right side steering head rod end to pull the tire slightly back to the right. Usually 1.5 - 2 full 360 degree turns.  If it pulls right then do just the opposite. If you need some help feel free to call. 520-349-7056

Hi FMay,

Do you mean the lock nut on the opposite (inside panel area) end of the peddle control rod? If you do need to tighten that one I think it’s a 10mm nut and it’s by feel. It’s hard to see especially with a hand in there. Plus have someone hold the rod from turning by holding it out in the engine compartment.

Yes Roger inside panel. What is the best way to get to the inside nut? The outside nut is 13mm

Which part of the panel do I go through?

I took the screws out of the front panel inside but the panel (flap switch,key start,etc)didn’t want to easily come out and I didn’t want to force it

Hi FMay,

I mis-spoke when I said 13mm. You are correct being a 13mm. You need to pull out the lower center panel. It will come out. Sometimes you just have to wiggle it some because something will catch on the sides. Once out just pull it out some and let it lean over on the passenger side. If you want you can lay a flashlight down on the floor area down inside or remove the top left panel and put a light up high. Put your fingers in first and just feel where the rod ends and where the nut is. Then put your wrench in there on the nut. Have someone out in the engine compartment grab the rod with a pair of visegrips and tighten it. It don’t think you’ll be able to turn your wrench very well.

14 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Don’t adjust it just to do it. Taxi it first on a FLAT surface and take your feet off the peddles. See if it drifts left or right. If it taxis straight leave it alone. If by chance it pulls left then you can either lengthen the left side steering head rod end or shorten the right side steering head rod end to pull the tire slightly back to the right. Usually 1.5 - 2 full 360 degree turns.  If it pulls right then do just the opposite. If you need some help feel free to call. 520-349-7056

Yeah, I assumed you'd already verified a tracking error.  If the airplane tracks straight leave it alone.

The nut on the engine side of the rod is 13mm, but the nut on the rod end I. The belly is 10 mm. I normally have the left and center panel out when I tighten the inside nut. One side is easier to get to, but I have a bent wrench for the other side. You might also be able to get it with a crowsfoot and long extension. Getting light in there 2here you need it to see the nut is part of the problem. Also be prepared to bleed reacing to the depths.