CT camping gear

Batjac

Looking to the future.  Everyone at the airport kept asking me if I was going to Oshkosh.  Not this year, as I had too much going on.  Maybe next year.  But the only way I could afford OSH is to camp with the plane.  I'm also looking at local camping trips like Trigger Gap.  I'm  looking for good camping gear that goes well with my CTLS.  I know quite a few people camp with their CTs, so I'm asking advice and experience on what will fit into the CTLS.

I would most likely do it alone, as my wife isn't really into it.  So, a small two-person tent, a good sleeping bag, a nice cot that breaks down nice and small.  The other stuff like a small chair and table, and cook gear.  I know I can look on Amazon or YouTube to get ideas, but I'd like input from people experienced in stuffing their CTs with gear.  I'm building a hangar, and it should be done by the end of next month, so I figured I'd christen it by sleeping inside the day its finished.  That's the impetus to buy gear now, as well as local trips to camp.

Mark

Skip the cot and get a good roll-up foam pad, a cot is just too bulky to put in a CT.  You might do without a tent if you sling a tarp over the wing and camp under it, or you can pitch a small tent under the wing.  Put it under your left wing...if you are under the right wing there's a high likelihood you'll smack and bend the pitot tube during your adventure.  Also a good small breakdown camp chair is a must.

As with all camping where you have limited weight/space for carrying gear, get the lightest & smallest stuff you can to do the job.  I have an issue with over-packing for stuff like this, but the CT has made me better about it because there's just no room and you have to pick and choose what you take.

If you are alone and really want to increase what you can take, remove the passenger seat and you'll gain a lot of space...just make sure to secure it all with a cargo net or bungies so it doesn't hit the flight controls.

44 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Skip the cot and get a good roll-up foam pad, a cot is just too bulky to put in a CT.  You might do without a tent if you sling a tarp over the wing and camp under it, or you can pitch a small tent under the wing.  Put it under your left wing...if you are under the right wing there's a high likelihood you'll smack and bend the pitot tube during your adventure.  Also a good small breakdown camp chair is a must.

As with all camping where you have limited weight/space for carrying gear, get the lightest & smallest stuff you can to do the job.  I have an issue with over-packing for stuff like this, but the CT has made me better about it because there's just no room and you have to pick and choose what you take.

If you are alone and really want to increase what you can take, remove the passenger seat and you'll gain a lot of space...just make sure to secure it all with a cargo net or bungies so it doesn't hit the flight controls.

45 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Three or four years ago I went to Oshkosh from California. I packed enough to camp a week, even though I had to leave early for a nasty storm.

Anyway, I agree with just about everything, but I would really suggest a tent. I took a small inflatable mattress, which worked well and didn’t take up that much room. Getting the darn thing back in the box for the trip home was the hard part.

Must have a chair. I bought a really small folding chair. For a week of camping, I wish I would have brought a little bigger folding chair for comfort.

Bring towels for the showers. Of course pack a hat, sunscreen and junk like that.

Plenty of food at Oshkosh, but bring snacks. Bring a few lights, flashlights and a light to hang in the tent. Extra batteries and one or two of the batteries that can be used to charge your phone and IPad. Oshkosh does have charging stations where you can plug up the battery for a few hours and let it recharge. People leave items charging there unattended for hours and I never heard about any taken by thieves.

For Oshkosh, bring clothes for cold and warm weather because it can change during the week.

There aren’t any tie downs, so you have to bring something that can be screwed into the grass that will remain set during high winds.

None of my equipment was what I would consider high quality, just basic, but it all worked fine. Everything fit in the airplane without a problem.

Oshkosh has a pretty impressive set up. There are convenience stores on the airport property if you forget something.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the delay in responding.

I had never gone north of the Rockies when traveling eastbound, so I figured I’d give it a try on my way over.

I started from SoCal due to an unrelated trip, even though I live in central California.

I left from Whiteman (WHP) and flew to 1L8 outside of St George for fuel. Then off to Rawlings, Montana (RWL) where I spent the night.

Next day was to Mobridge, South Dakota (MBG) for fuel. Next was Portage, Wisconsin (C47). This wasn’t far from Oshkosh, but I wanted to top off in case entry into OSH was a mess. Being early to the show, entry went smooth.

Total flight time was 15.4 hours in two long days. Luckily, weather was good the whole trip.

I was on flight following the whole trip. Worked out good because as I was putting along, atc randomly asked if I wanted to see Mt Rushmore. I didn’t realize I was that close, but he gave me vectors and once there, gave me an altitude and told me to circle as long as I wanted. Pretty cool!

Return trip from OSH was more direct. I had planned going south of the Rockies, but weather was great once I got away from OSH.

First stop was Boone, Iowa (BNW). Then on to CEK near Lincoln, Nebraska. Last stop was LMO, near Denver, where I spent the night.

Next day, weather still great, so I shot straight over the Rockies to FOM, Fillmore, Utah. On to Tonapah, NV (TPH). Then home, KHJO. 17 hours TT in two days.

A lot of people are hesitant flying over mountains, especially single engine. Living next door to the Sierras, I’m comfortable and familiar with it. (I hope this doesn’t turn into a mountain crossing debate. I can’t go east without crossing mountains, but they are much lower if I go north or south prior to crossing). A parachute does add some comfort though.

Anyway, the plane performed great and I had a blast. Doing each direction in two days made for some really long days, but it was worth it for my first trip to OSHKOSH!

18 minutes ago, Towner said:

I left from Whiteman (WHP) and flew to 1L8 outside of St George for fuel. Then off to Rawlings, Montana (RWL) where I spent the night.

Rawlins Wyoming? What was your path to there from Utah?

Likewise on the way back, LMO-FOM.

And where'd you park at the show? In the north/south 40?

Man, that was a long time ago! Looking at the chart, I’m guessing east out of 1L8 until past the really tall stuff,  then fairly direct with a little zigzagging to avoid the tall stuff on the way to RWL. Even though in may not look like it on the chart, there are plenty of routes you can easily make at 10k feet or less and still have over 3-4k of clearance.

Out of Denver is a different story. You have to get high and get there quick. Years ago, some locals gave me the passes to go through. I’ve done it probably a half a dozen times since then. 

Once you are up there on a clear day, it’s really easy to see the peaks and open areas between. These aren’t valleys you are flying through, just large areas between peaks. You can probably do it at 12.5 and maintain at least 2k feet the whole time.

Rollins pass is 11.5k. Jump up to 14k and you only have to be there for about 5 minutes. After that, the terrain drops quickly on both sides. From there, it won’t be direct, but the terrain is 5k-8k. Sure, you may see a 10k mountain 5 miles from you, but it’s not bad. 20V-EGE-IRL for example.

Again, realize my spot In California. If I go west, the low stuff I have to cross is 3-6k feet, but is still hills and low mountains, not flat. Tahoe 9-10k terrain. LA, 4k for the low stuff with 8k peaks nearby. Going to Mammoth, peaks near 13k if I go direct, but one hour flight time. If I go the low route, I still have to cross 5k mountains but it is 4 hours due to restricted areas and high mountains. 

So, I do have some experience. I only go over the high stuff with the right conditions. Also, most of the really high stuff is less than 15 minutes max before the altitude quickly lowers.

I do want to emphasize that I do not fly canyons, but only areas between peaks that are several miles wide. I try to give myself at least 3k clearance above the ground, usually much more, but occasionally a little less when no options.

Hope this helps. If you aren’t familiar, get a little training before doing stuff like Denver.