Rotax-Owner Doubles Price

Jim Meade

Like many of you, I've been a long-time subscriber to Rotax-Owner at $29.95 per year.  The price is still $29.95.  Now it's for 6 months.  I don't remember seeing an announcement of the change, so since that is the case, it makes me feel like Rotax-Owner is trying to slip one over on me.  We get that kind of action with many charitable organizations.  They send you an annual reminder, then a few months later they send another reminder that looks so similar one has to check to see when one last contributed.  I have come to expect that kind of chicanery from the begging organizations, but I guess I'd have expected Rotax-Owner to have been more up front about doubling the price.  Well, maybe I missed it.  But I can't say it gave me a good impression.

I hear you, I didn't renew last year and now certainly won't be.  I'm sure all of us can afford it but there always is a question for me on return of investment, and having the knowledge after 5 years CT/ 912 owner I don't find myself using the site, and can honestly say the items I've really needed to seek information were better answered with assistance from Rodger or Tom.

They may find many owners were willing to pay that for a year, but increasing will ultimately drive people to drop it. 

I used to pay the subscription even though i didn't use the site much but continued as my 'support' for Rotax.   When you start feeling they are taking advantage of their customers it sure isn't a reason to continue.      This is a small amount relative to our aviation expenses but its the principle of the matter rather than $.    Thanks again to everyone on this site who have made so many contributions in helping all of us with information and guidance.    

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

Has anyone here noticed most of the Rotax parts cost have been greatly reduced. I just ordered a bunch of parts that normally cost me around $1300. I was charged $600. You can buy two new ignition modules now for less than it used to cost for two.

It looks like they are making it up on the cost of fuel pumps.

13 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

The mechanical fuel pump cost for the carbed engines has come down too.

List price for the mechanical fuel pump was $194.90 on June 24th, and it shown now as $346.64. Oil hose was $85.20 a little over a month ago, it is now $115.31. Not everything has come down.

Roger, You said the price of "Rotax" parts were coming down. I showed two cases where they have went up substantially. While some have come down others have went up. Buying non Rotax branded parts for less money does not make your argument that Rotax prices are coming down.  

Does that 50% off fuel pump have the Rotax part and serial number on it? How about traceability? Does Rotax have any special specification for the pumps they buy that could be different from the 50% off unit. I have a friend who was in the fuel pump manufacturing business, who has mentioned changes they had to make to a pump for certain manufacture's. Is it possible that Rotax does some testing before adding their part and serial numbers? Not having the serial number would be problematic. I have had two aircraft through the shop this summer with fuel pumps that were not replaced at the rubber replacement. Both were beyond shelf life and service life combined. I know this because of the serial number on the fuel pump.

In my mind buying parts from the supplier and cutting Rotax out of the loop shifts the liability from Rotax directly onto your shoulders. Again, I would hate to try and defend that in court.

Not all parts have come down. I just spent what I thought was going to be $1300 and they charged me $600 and that was from a Rotax service center. You can find a lot of this info on Rotax Owner. Just like the Bosch fuel pressure regulator. I posted about the Rotax spark plugs that are Bosch on Rotax Owner, but was ask to take it down. So Rotax doesn't like it when people find out where to buy the parts from the Mfg. Rotax parts have tremendous markups due to too many middle men. Just like NGK spark plug caps. They are now $74 from a service center, but online they are $14.

8 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Does that 50% off fuel pump have the Rotax part and serial number on it? How about traceability?

I agree they should be Rotax with a serial number. Especially when there is that Chinese Rotax-clone around...