When is fretting critical?

FMay

2006 Rotax 912 with 810 hours. Just got out of annual. With spark plugs out prop has to be forced to turn. When is fretting critical and casing needs replacing? Is it worth changing the casing on an 18 year old engine? All the other parts are still 18 years old. Rotax is hands off on this problem.

With plugs out there should be next to no resistance turning the prop. If it drags, as in takes more than a modest finger to turn the prop, then the fretting is bad.

I can turn my prop with a finger at speed 6 inches from the hub effortlessly and I use this to get oil preflowed in the engine after a change and stop when the oil pressure comes up into the green and roughly stabilizes.

If it's hard to turn without plugs then the engineeds to be replaced. If you file a CSIR (customer service information report)with Rotax and include the a scan of the logbook and tell them it was fretting you may get a HUGE discount.

When I lost  exhaust lifter on #1 cylinder I had 833 hrs. and it was 6 years old. They gave me a new engine and I only had to pay a small amount up front for some of the trouble free hours.

Replace the engine.

The two halves have worn down. There's no getting away from that.

You could try to sue stating it's a defective product and probably get something but I doubt it will be cheaper than just buying a new engine. Court is for rich people these days.

A threatening legal letter might be enough though.

8 hours ago, FMay said:

Thanks for the info. My A&P checked with Rotax and was told they would not help on an engine this old. 
other than a new engine what other alternatives are there?

Sorry Fmay, but there isn't any other choice other than trying the CSIR directly to Rotax. Forget what a service center said. Give it a try. All they can say is no, but they may give you an engine for half price? 

The other option is try and buy a used engine.

Last resort a new engine.

I didn't think they'd help me with my engine either with 833 hrs. and 6 years old.

I've been flying since 1967 and all my education is in aviation. I have seen a lot of good planes and bad planes. The thing that stands out on the bad ones is mostly engine issues, old engines maintained and run by ??? , lots of idiots. I see them now every day next to my hangar where they are being sold to poorly informed buyers. 

Bite the bullet and get a new engine and have it installed by someone who knows what they are doing, then you know what you have. I've seen too many catastrophic failures on discount engine maintenance and hidden incidents. It's only money

Unfortunately, it’s time to replace the engine.  I found out the hard way, doubly.  I spent close to $10k to “upgrade/ enhance my engine performance by using an overbore set of cylinders/pistons that lasted less than 50 hours.  No noticeable difference in performance.  Found out despite the comments of the Arlington, WA., CFI, who installed them.  I had asked an about paperwork .  He said none required.  He made all the money that I lost.  Good for you, Jim.

Turns out that it was an unauthorized change, and that Rotax engines, regardless of time, are out at 15 years, according to the airframe manufacturer.  Mine is a 2008, with less than 200 hours.  It’s out, crap.

7 hours ago, ctbob said:

Unfortunately, it’s time to replace the engine.  I found out the hard way, doubly.  I spent close to $10k to “upgrade/ enhance my engine performance by using an overbore set of cylinders/pistons that lasted less than 50 hours.  No noticeable difference in performance.  Found out despite the comments of the Arlington, WA., CFI, who installed them.  I had asked an about paperwork .  He said none required.  He made all the money that I lost.  Good for you, Jim.

Turns out that it was an unauthorized change, and that Rotax engines, regardless of time, are out at 15 years, according to the airframe manufacturer.  Mine is a 2008, with less than 200 hours.  It’s out, crap.

Calender time does not apply in the US.

26 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Show me that in writing!

This is a long time debate. It applies to certified piston engines so it would be hard for the faa to discriminate.  Show me in writing where it is prohibited in the US by the faa. The faa does not want to use calender time on lsa because they would then have to justify certified. 

3 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

It's in FAA legal in Washington as we speak. I've been taking directly  them.  I started it and sent in all the documentation. I just got an email this morning that said they need a bit more time.

It is my understanding that MOSAIC will make the issue go away, so I doubt you will ever get a ruling.

I have a 2007 CTSW with 2000 hrs I may sell engine its still flying weekly compression is excellent uses no oil

I was planning on running it until its time for hose change which is about a year and half away, new engine is 

sitting in hanger. May be willing to remove it this winter if I have a buyer, if not I keep on flying it. Has soft start

and newer fly wheel.