Tires and Tubes size, brake inspection.

Blueyonder

The tire manufacturers have documentation on what is acceptable and what isn't.

Flat spots with no cord or other visible damage showing are fine. They'll be annoying is all.

Did you have a brake lockup? If it's matcos, you need to be measuring disc thickness as well as monitoring the liner thickness. If they get too low, the pistol tips in the cylinder and can't be released.

Also, it is very easy to overbrake. While these CAN stop in under a few hundred feet, that is extremely hard on brakes.

Hi.

1 hour ago, Anticept said:

Did you have a brake lockup?

No, no lock ups.

It's just difficult to know what  was done during the Annual. The standard answer is:

"...Inspected per FD Maintenance and Inspection procedure AF..."

and when you open the cowl you find hoses not connected, tires underinflated... It's next to impossible to get them to complete and follow the FD check list.. to know what was checked off, and I am sure the same incomplete  problems will show up / exist, but you can at least question them about it.

I have no idea why the Tires+ tubes were replaced, and the Spark plugs with only about 30 hrs on them?

Next time maybe good to take it to AZ?

Thanks everyone.

I've seen shops of all types.

Some don't put in the effort to do it differently than they have always done, and that's not legal and reportable to FSDOs.

Some just replace everything they find assuming the customer won't have an issue.

Some don't know better.

I assume you have talked to them on this issue?

4 hours ago, Blueyonder said:

I have no idea why the Tires+ tubes were replaced, and the Spark plugs with only about 30 hrs on them?

Not sure about the tires, but if the plugs are NGK I would replace them when doing a condition inspection with 30 hours on them. Can they run longer? Absolutely. The reason I  replace them is because the gaskets are designed to be a one time use. If I pull the whole set they are getting replaced. 

In your other post you mentioned that they removed 6 ply tires and installed 4 ply tires. 4 ply tires are what the manual calls for when the tundra tires are installed. Maybe they installed the 4 ply to make the airplane correct. Often times people will install 6 ply tires in place of 4 ply because they think they are better, or because they are cheaper.

16 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

What hoses were disconnected? 

Hi Tom and everyone.

@Tom see pic below. It is not that important that the hose was not attached as it is that "what else" did they miss?

@Anticept, I do think that your logic is correct but I would have expected at least an equivalent, 6 ply?

It is just not something you would expect, without prior request?

I am not sure what make / type of spark plugs were in. The actual time on the plugs was 23.2 hrs.

I think I've seen a notice about the spark plugs around 200 hrs? maybe specific make? I will try to find out, maybe someone knows?

Thanks everyone.

AnulHosDisct.jpg

24 minutes ago, Blueyonder said:

Hi Tom and everyone.

@Tom see pic below. It is not that important that the hose was not attached as it is that "what else" did they miss?

@Anticept, I do think that your logic is correct but I would have expected at least an equivalent, 6 ply?

It is just not something you would expect, without prior request?

I am not sure what make / type of spark plugs were in. The actual time on the plugs was 23.2 hrs.

I think I've seen a notice about the spark plugs around 200 hrs? maybe specific make? I will try to find out, maybe someone knows?

Thanks everyone.

AnulHosDisct.jpg

That hose must be disconnected to remove the lower cowling, but yes it should have been reconnected when putting the cowling back on.

I don't know why they removed the 6 ply tires, but in the 6.00x6 size the 4 ply tire is the correct tire for the airplane. Having the 6 ply tire installed was wrong, but replacing it with a 6 ply tire just because that's what it had would also be wrong. By changing the tires they simply could have been bringing the airplane back into conformity.

Like I said in an above post. If the plugs are NGK if I remove the set, they are getting replaced. Yes Rotax says that they can run 200 hours. The NGK plugs are built with a crush gasket that is designed to be crushed one time. After that they will not seal as designed. Because of this I choose to replace the sparkplugs at the condition inspection regardless of how many hours the airplane has flown. Your shop may be the same. I have had to rethink the sparkplug issue on the newer engines with the Rotax sparkplugs.

22 hours ago, Anticept said:

I've seen shops of all types.

Some don't put in the effort to do it differently than they have always done, and that's not legal and reportable to FSDOs.

Some just replace everything they find assuming the customer won't have an issue.

Some don't know better.

I assume you have talked to them on this issue?

Does’t sound like this/these A&P(s) had any SLSA/FDCT/912i experience nor training. I’ve experienced this and thankfully Tom got my plane straight. ….  I remember Tom Piciney (sp), the last USA FD dealer offered to school/educate A&Ps on our aircraft..said it was required. I could see why…