Debris on Magnetic Plug

Jmags

Tom is right.

I looked at an oil filter on a 421 that had a little more steel than that last week, it fell within the limit guidlines from Continental. On the next flight the engine had a catastrophic failure. I have always had issues buying planes with questionable engine history. I prefer high time engines and then change them. It's just me. I took a flight in a Swift with a friend,  week later he had a catastrophic engine failure over a forest. He walked away. Found out it had hidden history of prop strike. I just bought a Jabiru 230D that had a teardown inspection due to a prop strike.  I just installed a factory new engine, it's cheap insurance. Again it's just me, I've seen to much over the years. 

Just be careful

4 hours ago, Jmags said:

Hey I’m in the process of trying to purchase a Gobosh 700. I pulled the mag plug for inspection and after 19 hours it looks like this. Is this satisfactory or not. Thanks

IMG_3575.jpeg

Need to wipe that off onto a paper towel and look at it closely to see if its just a little gunk or if it's metal shavings.

I've seen this plenty of times on things after 50 hours and often its a lot less than what it appears at a glance.

Private use with lots of cruising will be cleaner than flight school use.

To me, it looks like microscopic metallic dust. It tends to form that ring, while shavings tend to porcupine.

This engine is the second one rebuilt from Lockwood for this Gobosh plane because their first one failed. This one has a tad spec on that mag plug (first post picture) and this isn't an issue at this time. This isn't significant at this time. Plus no one here knows when it was last inspected or how well Lockwood did the gearbox. If it looked like the one in the above picture (a bearded plug) then that's an issue. I find ones like this one on the Gobosh on others at times. Look at the first Rotax picture above and it has a small sliver. If it has a beard or big chunks or fat multiple slivers then it's an issue.

Clean it and check it at the next oil change. If you have seen what I have seen out of Lockwood this year on planes you'd be surprised are what has been wrong.